app help for Google Nexus 7 in offline caching

So we have just been introduced to geocaching. YAY! I thought I'd be able to use the new Google Nexus 7 for the time being until we could afford a good GPS. My thought was between the offline mode of Google maps and the built in gps I should be able to get caching quickly. This was however quite a different story since I have gotten my tablet. While I praise the tablet so far I realize that my problem at the moment is the apps and my lack of knowledge with them. If anyone has any Ideas I would greatly appreciate suggestions of apps as well as possible tutorials or manuals.

I am currently experimenting with c:geo and locus, however i am open to anything as long as it supports OFFLINE mode since i will not have wifi access 90% of the time.

What i am looking for is probably rediculous but seems fairly reasonable to me:

capability for large geocache dumps (pocket queries) to the tablet (1000+ caches)

navigation in offline mode (sorry google but you fail if only in offline mode {unless someone can tell me how it can work in offline mode})

ability to lookup details, hints, logs, and misc while in offline mode.

Possibility of logging caches in offline mode (until i can make it to a wifi spot)

i tried to find the official android geocaching app but it isn't compatible with my tablet :{

Edited by Xerrik&Xerris

I've used the Nexus 7 a few weeks ago in offline mode with CacheSense. It was pretty crashy then but since I returned there's been an update that improves JB support. Spot-checking it from my desk, it seems OK now. For my trip, I loaded a raft (probably 4000) of PQs into it (warning: PQ ingest is slow...) and found the experience to be not terrible, though I did use a "real" GPS for the actual hunting. It has reasonable support for offline mode. There is a demo available. You'd definitely have to pair it with a premium membership to get PQs (or tether it to your fone) for it to be useful.

I've contacted the Groundspeak staff with ideas on why it may not be showing up in Market.

Google Maps can be cached by tapping the ellipsis in the action bar and choosing "make available offline" and then scooting the rectangle to cover the area(s) you care about. This stores only the vector data (enough for driving directions) and not things like hotels, restaurants, or aerial imagery. I'm not sure if that offline support extends to other apps using the mapping API; you can check that with the demo.

Edited by robertlipe

I've used the Nexus 7 a few weeks ago in offline mode with CacheSense. It was pretty crashy then but since I returned there's been an update that improves JB support. Spot-checking it from my desk, it seems OK now. For my trip, I loaded a raft (probably 4000) of PQs into it (warning: PQ ingest is slow...) and found the experience to be not terrible, though I did use a "real" GPS for the actual hunting. It has reasonable support for offline mode. There is a demo available. You'd definitely have to pair it with a premium membership to get PQs (or tether it to your fone) for it to be useful.

I've contacted the Groundspeak staff with ideas on why it may not be showing up in Market.

Google Maps can be cached by tapping the ellipsis in the action bar and choosing "make available offline" and then scooting the rectangle to cover the area(s) you care about. This stores only the vector data (enough for driving directions) and not things like hotels, restaurants, or aerial imagery. I'm not sure if that offline support extends to other apps using the mapping API; you can check that with the demo.

Thanks I haven't tried cachesense yet i'll see how it goes

Edited by Xerrik&Xerris

I also have a Nexus 7. I had a Kindle Fire but didn't like the no GPS and no Google Store. I'm loving the Nexus 7. I can do the maps off line for driving. And was thinking I could use it to Geocache too. I have not tried any of the programs yet. I did download the area in google maps for off line use.

Anyone else have success with the Nexus 7 and Geocaching?

I used my Nexus 7 for the first time with the c:geo app to find a few caches last week. It worked quite nicely. Saved the caches from the live map before leaving the hotel. Logged the caches in the field and they were posted once I had wifi connectivity again. I've been using c:geo on my Nexus S for a long time.

I used my Nexus 7 for the first time with the c:geo app to find a few caches last week. It worked quite nicely. Saved the caches from the live map before leaving the hotel. Logged the caches in the field and they were posted once I had wifi connectivity again. I've been using c:geo on my Nexus S for a long time.

Thanks, I'll download it and give it a try!

I'm a new Nexus 7 owner and downloaded the Cgeo app to give it a spin. I like being able to dump bunches of caches into the DB by PQ. I tried finding the first cache with just the N7 alone, but find it a little more awkward to handle than a GPSr. This morning I was out and used what I think will be workable. I get to a site, try to find the cache with the GPSr alone. If necessary I pull out the tablet to research description, clues (finally found out how to decrypt clues) and (unfortunately only five) previous logs. I have entered finds in the field and had them upload flawlessly once I'm in wireless range. I still am working on getting the maps to show up offline (only a portion of the map shows up) and would love to have more logs download, but so far I'm pretty happy--especially since I lost the GC app for the I-pod a while ago and was having to revert to "paper" caching

I'm a new Nexus 7 owner and downloaded the Cgeo app to give it a spin. I like being able to dump bunches of caches into the DB by PQ. I tried finding the first cache with just the N7 alone, but find it a little more awkward to handle than a GPSr. This morning I was out and used what I think will be workable. I get to a site, try to find the cache with the GPSr alone. If necessary I pull out the tablet to research description, clues (finally found out how to decrypt clues) and (unfortunately only five) previous logs. I have entered finds in the field and had them upload flawlessly once I'm in wireless range. I still am working on getting the maps to show up offline (only a portion of the map shows up) and would love to have more logs download, but so far I'm pretty happy--especially since I lost the GC app for the I-pod a while ago and was having to revert to "paper" caching

The five previous logs is a PQ limitation. If you want all the logs, press the refresh button while displaying the cache in c:geo. It's also possible to refresh all caches - from the Stored caches display press Menu -> Manage -> Refresh all (this will be slow). I'd suggest doing this only if you have saved a small number of caches.

Offline maps are supported in c:geo with Open Street Map. The c:geo FAQ explains how to do this.

The five previous logs is a PQ limitation. If you want all the logs, press the refresh button while displaying the cache in c:geo. It's also possible to refresh all caches - from the Stored caches display press Menu -> Manage -> Refresh all (this will be slow). I'd suggest doing this only if you have saved a small number of caches.

Offline maps are supported in c:geo with Open Street Map. The c:geo FAQ explains how to do this.

Sorry I was off the forum for a few days getting a replacement N7--my screen stopped responding to touch. I followed your suggestion to display all the previous log entries and I think it will work OK if there is not a large amount of logs. I first tried it on an older, easily found cache and the action caused the app to stop running. With a newer and less found cache it worked well.

I followed the link for the OSM, but it refers to an SD card--which the N7 does not have. Are or will there be specific instructions for N7? On some caches I get maybe the top 1/4 of a map offline and on others, nothing.

Today I was playing with the demo version of the CacheSense app that Robert Lipe suggested earlier. It has many power user features and will certainly join c:geo as a part of my geocaching toolset. CacheSense can also generate offline maps directly from an OSM live map view.

Neither app supports offline Google maps, but they both support offline maps from Open Street Map. Pre-built ones may be downloaded from the Mapsforge website. They're available for many countries, US states and Canadian provinces. See the Offline maps for c:geo entry in the FAQ for configuration info. c:geo will search the Nexus 7 filesystem and discover the map in your Downloads folder. If you create a mfmaps folder and move the downloaded Mapsforge map there, c:geo will automatically find it.