Listed Coords for Multi-Cache?

St.Matthew

If I am doing a multi-cache set up as a tour of a location (where each stage is a question to answer/virtual stage instead of a physical container), may I post the listed coordinates as the entrance to the location, or must the listed coordinates be stage 1?

Much appreciated,

-Matt

I don't see a problem with the posted coordinates being the entrance, as long as I can see, or deduce where the First Stage is. If there were something like a map or directory at the start, that would seem to work. In general, when doing a Multi, I would expect to find something relevant at the posted coordinates to help me progress to the next Stage.

Good luck!

I think StarBrand's point is that you might start working on the multi-cache at the entrance, regardless of whether there is a question to answer (or a physical game piece) at the entrance.

But I don't see a problem with the posted coordinates of a multi-cache being the entrance to the location.

If the starting coordinates are the entrance to a location and that location can easily be determined without using the coordinates, there may be a problem listing the cache. This is true if you are not requited to use coordinates to find the final. If you derive coordinates from signs etc. and use these coordinates to find the final cache, there should be no problem but if you provide a series of letterbox style clues to reach the final location, this would be a guidelines violation.

I don't see why it would be a problem as long as it said something like 'at the posted coords look left and the structure 50 feet in front of you is where your journey begins' or something along those lines?

Yeah, I think directions from the posted coordinates at the entrance to the start would work well, either directions like this or a reference a map at the entrance, as another post mentioned. If nothing like that works, I'm thinking posting the first stage coordinates might be the better way to get the seeker started at the right point deep in the area, anyway, in which case you could flag the entrance with a trailhead waypoint to help them get in.

I'm sure it will be published, most likely however you submit it, but if there are any issues, the reviewer will help you sort them out. I'm not an expert on reviewing, but this sounds to me like something that might vary from one reviewer to another.

From: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=308

1. Multi-Caches

The coordinates posted at the top of the cache listing are for the first stage of a multi-cache. Provide the coordinates of all subsequent stages of the multi-cache by using the Additional Waypoints feature. If you do not want the coordinates for the additional stages displayed to the public, mark them as "hidden." Only the cache owner, reviewers and Groundspeak lackeys can view hidden coordinates.

The coordinates posted at the top of the cache listing are for the first stage of a multi-cache.

The question is whether the "first stage" is where you enter or where the first question is asked. I see nothing that rules out the former.

As long as the entrance IS the first stage. Post #4 tends to indicate that it is not. Thus - the entrance should be listed separately.

As long as the entrance IS the first stage. Post #4 tends to indicate that it is not. Thus - the entrance should be listed separately.

Eh. If desired, the entrance could be conceptually the first stage even if the description proudly calls the conceptual second stage "Stage 1". Although because of this objection, a few of us have been proposing minor changes to make the entrance the first stage in all senses; I agree that would make more sense if it is, indeed, the posted coordinates.

Edited to add: LOL! I just went to look at Post #4 and see that it quite clearly says the exact opposite of what you claim: it calls the entrance "stage 1" while explaining that there's no question to answer there. On the one hand, that's just funny and no big deal, but, on the other hand, it kinda unscores that there's no hard and fast rules for the relation between the posted coordinates and the stages.

Edited by dprovan