Abbreviations

misspoppy

I'm fairly new to geocaching and english not being my first language I sometimes cannot figure out what certain abbreviations stand for. :blink:

My own first cache has just been published and has already been found by a member who left the following log: Temp ftf log.

What does it mean? Can someone please list some basic abbriveations that I should know?

Many thanks and happy caching!

Misspoppy

I'm fairly new to geocaching and english not being my first language I sometimes cannot figure out what certain abbreviations stand for. :blink:

My own first cache has just been published and has already been found by a member who left the following log: Temp ftf log.

What does it mean? Can someone please list some basic abbriveations that I should know?

Misspoppy

Temporary First to find. Not sure why someone logged a temporary log unless going to log more later. May be logging from a phone so don't have time to enter a longer log at the time.

TFTC Thanks for the cache

TFTF Thanks for the find

TFTH Thanks for the hide.

SL Signed log.

TNLN Took nothing left nothing

TNLNSL Took nothing left nothing signed log

NH Nice hide or nice hike

FTF First to find

A few to get you started someone will probably post a list on here for you.

Good luck with your first cache, Its fun to watch the listing of logs but get used to TFTC becoming more common unfortunately. I personally dislike those type of logs on my caches but that's what people log unfortunatley.

Edited by baack40

baack40... Can I ask why you don't like TFTC? Still new and I thought it was a quick way of showing appreciation. Therefore I use it a lot and don't want to bother anyone. Thanks!

Speaking for myself. I do not think that typing out 4 characters is showing much appreciation for the time, effort and money that I typically put in to a hide - not to mention a special place. Seems a bit lazy to me.

I understand that you and many others genuinely mean well but it is a bit lost in translation when 'real' whole words are not used and a quick personalized mention of at least the condition of the cache is not noted.

baack40... Can I ask why you don't like TFTC? Still new and I thought it was a quick way of showing appreciation. Therefore I use it a lot and don't want to bother anyone. Thanks!

Well, when someone has taken the time to put out a cache for you to fimd and is a pretty good one. Don't you think they would appreciate a little more than a TFTC? Now a guardrail cache or a LPC thats okay. To me it seems the lazy way to log the cache. Did you enjoy the cache? Then say so. Nothing good to say? TFTC just an automatic log not much thought put into it. People put more effort in placing it and deserve more than a TFTC. Just my opinion. Better than a log that just states their name or a smiley face tho. On phones the TFTC automatic log. Every cache is a lttle different, so why shouldn't the logs be dfferent? Just me. Cache owners lkie myself enjoy readng the logs. Not TFTC TFTC TFTC The more of those that are posted the less apt i am to place more caches. Everyone is different.

Well, when someone has taken the time to put out a cache for you to fimd and is a pretty good one. Don't you think they would appreciate a little more than a TFTC? Now a guardrail cache or a LPC thats okay. To me it seems the lazy way to log the cache. Did you enjoy the cache? Then say so. Nothing good to say? TFTC just an automatic log not much thought put into it. People put more effort in placing it and deserve more than a TFTC. Just my opinion. Better than a log that just states their name or a smiley face tho. On phones the TFTC automatic log. Every cache is a lttle different, so why shouldn't the logs be dfferent? Just me. Cache owners lkie myself enjoy readng the logs. Not TFTC TFTC TFTC The more of those that are posted the less apt i am to place more caches. Everyone is different.

Good information to have. I doubt many cachers would think of that without having actually placed one. Looks like so many logs are from people who are recently getting started, and it's certainly easy to take it for granted or not even realize the efforts or disappointments involved. Personally, I'm amazed at how people find some of the locations we end up in! (I have a big hurdle to the location I want for my first one.)

I actually do try to give more info and/or compliments often, but if I write TFTC, it REALLY is appreciated. Being an over-thinker, I also worry that I will bore people with too much babble. Now I'll probably over-think that too! :unsure:

Edited by BigTeamG6

There's nothing wrong with the abbreviation itself, it's just when people only write TFTC and nothing else, or just "Found it, TFTC". Most cache owners appreciate at least a brief comment about your experience.... Especially if the cache is one that took a little creative effort.

To me, a four letter log is a way of saying, "Thanks for placing it, but your cache is kinda boring"

Misspoppy

Temporary First to find. Not sure why someone logged a temporary log unless going to log more later. May be logging from a phone so don't have time to enter a longer log at the time.

TFTC Thanks for the cache

TFTF Thanks for the find

TFTH Thanks for the hide.

SL Signed log.

TNLN Took nothing left nothing

TNLNSL Took nothing left nothing signed log

NH Nice hide or nice hike

FTF First to find

A few to get you started someone will probably post a list on here for you.

Good luck with your first cache, Its fun to watch the listing of logs but get used to TFTC becoming more common unfortunately. I personally dislike those type of logs on my caches but that's what people log unfortunatley.