Finding the right car Satnav

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy as basic (cheap) as possible a car satnav and I'm not having much luck surfing around.

I have two definite requirements (other than UK and maybe rest of Europe maps):

- ability to set destination by degrees/decimal minutes, and

- ability to work in kilometres (can't get on with miles)

I've looked at quite a few sites and these two things don't seem to be mentioned in the technical specs or even in the reviews. I have no idea whether they are standard features or not, but don't want to get stuck with one that's not suitable.

My previous satnav, now deceased, was a Targa (from Lidl). That did meet the requirements, but was seriously painful (defective) getting the coords in, so I don't really want to go there again.

I use my Android phone sometimes at the mo, but it goes flat too quickly and gets worryingly warm. And it won't go on metric or road-navigate me to the right coords for solved puzzles.

Wondering if anyone could make any suggestions.

Many thanks

mousy

For android you can use 'Freenav"

As an A > B satnav you might take a Garmin Nuvi or TT, but since you want to input data a Nuvi is better.

Older models are much cheaper, an not know make is a bad choice.

Many thanks for the Freenav tip. Have now installed it from the Expansys site and got the "Ordnance Survey Postcode" software but that was the only thing showing in the Navfree store. I'm assuming I should be picking up the maps in there too. Hopefully someone who's got it can advise.

Looking through the Nuvis now...

Thanks

Followed the link through to the nuvi feature comparison chart and decided multi destination would be handy if it was affordable. When I related those models back to current prices, I found that we seem to have different model numbers here in UK. Maybe Garmin has a feature comparison page with our model numbers. Will check that next.

Thanks

In the NavFree app goto > Upgrades there you find Maps click on that and make a choice.

Hi Splashy,

Nope. In there it just says "No Items"... The other two tabs just show the "Postcodes" one which is installed.

Really not sure what's wrong... Wouldn't be something to do with me downloading it to my phone from the PC end would it? Maybe I should have used the phone browser to bring up the link?

1/7

Have now tried reloading and reinstalling the other way and still no maps.

Edited by mousytrap

In the NavFree app goto > Upgrades there you find Maps click on that and make a choice.

Hi Splashy,

Nope. In there it just says "No Items"... The other two tabs just show the "Postcodes" one which is installed.

Really not sure what's wrong... Wouldn't be something to do with me downloading it to my phone from the PC end would it? Maybe I should have used the phone browser to bring up the link?

1/7

Have now tried reloading and reinstalling the other way and still no maps.

Think I might be OK now. Found Navfree in Market (rather than direct from Expansys) and seems to be offering a download maps option... (also a more up-to-date version of Navfree it seems)

Edited by mousytrap