Funny Story

Interesting story.

I was just walking out to Pugly (my CRX) for a geocaching run in the afternoon and somebody was looking at the lamp post (EDIT: that I hid a cache at out front of the inlaws store). I smiled, put the laptop and GPS into the car and waited a few minutes. He kept going back and forth between his van and the post and had a very puzzled look on his face. So after a little while, I said to him, "It's not your ordinary Lamp Post Cache" to give him a clue. He replied back "Yeah, it's not an ordinary lamp post." So I said, "I'm the one that hid it" to let him know that I'm fine giving clues and to strike up conversation. He said "Why'd you hit it, that's not very nice." Turns out he was not a geocacher and he was there to see if the "outlet" worked......

Ever come across a muggle who had all the tell-tale signs of a geocacher(minus the GPS)?

Edited by gustav129

Was out doing a bike run on a local rail to trail a few weeks back. As I neared the next GZ I spotted another bike lying at the edge of the trail and a woman down in the woods 25' away. As I dismounted I called out-did you find it already?

She walked toward me with her hand outstretched and full of oyster mushrooms and said "I found these, but there are some more there if you want them." 'Umm no I'm looking for geocaches not mushrooms' I replied.

At least she had heard of geocaching, and I have been mushroom hunting before so it wasn't 100% awkward. Turns out she was about 30' short of the cache but didn't stick around to watch me find it.

One spring day, I had spent more than two hours chasing down a five-part multi in a little-known park in Columbus. I had finally found the final stage and signed the log, and was making my way back to the parking area. A woman approached on the trail, obviously coming from the parking lot, and she was carrying a GPS unit in one hand. I smiled, said hello, and said something foolish like "Good luck, this is an elusive one." She gave me a quizzical stare that told me she had no idea what I was talking about.

I did a bit of verbal fumbling and apologizing, then told her I'd been looking for a geocache. She said she was an Ohio State ornithology student, and she was visiting the park to work on a population study of some sort. She asked me to tell her more about geocaching, so I gave her a brief summary. She seemed to be interested, and told me she would check out the Web site when she got home. I've often wondered whether she ever tried caching herself.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

I was once out on a lunchtime trip, I got to the cache which was hidden under a hut and right at that spot was a guy with a cycle, who was stood there looking at the floor, so I guessed he was a cacher. I asked "Are you looking for the Geocache?", he wasn't but I think he thought I was trying to proposition him (BTW I'm male!) and he told me where to go in quite flowery language!

Apart from that one occasion I've always guessed right!

Just a couple of hours ago I had a similar experience.

I had just parked up at the start of the path to take a walk to search for a nearby cache. A lady was also getting out of her car in front of me and putting on her walking boots.

After a couple of glances she then wandered across and asked if I would like to help her hunt for something. I smiled knowingly and said 'sure' expecting her to give me an explanation about geocaching. However, she reached into her coat pocket and brought out a smart looking woolen walking sock. She explained that she had had them in her pocket when walking here yesterday but one had dropped out of her pocket and she was retracing her steps today to try and find it. I agreed to look out for it and hurried off.

After successfully hunting in the undergrowth for the particularly sneakily hidden cache, I was just signing the log book in the bushes around a well bushwacked area (not me) when the aforementioned sock lady walked past. I called out a cheery 'Hello again' so as to not surprise her too much and then was very tempted to shout after her 'haven't found your sock yet'... She said hello back and then it was her turn to hurry on her way. I now wonder if she was thinking the same thing and exactly how long was I going to carry on hunting for her sock?