Unresponsive cache owners who have elite status

I'm assuming that you don't know all the details about that particular cache. As the plant above me said, there may be a number of reasons preventing re-enablement. Besides the ones she mentioned, they could be overseas on military duty. Perhaps the cache is in an area requiring a permit that they are trying to get renewed. Maybe there is a land policy changing that they are working out.

Unless you know the circumstances I don't see how bringing a generic claim here is useful. Email your reviewer to express your concerns, and perhaps you'll find out the full story. I really doubt it has anything to do with "elite" status.

Plenty of other caches out there - I'd go for them. If you were thinking of placing a cache in the spot, a kindly email to the CO may jog their memory.

As far as life getting in the way - it did for us when my Mum had a stroke, and then again when she passed away. Right now we're in another tough situation, and caching is on the back burner.

and the volunteer reviewer has not done anything

that you know about..........

sometimes people's "elite status" is that they're struggling with major family illness, or job loss or death...

Or other issues. I have a cache that has been disabled for 3+ years. It is in a mine and entering mines and caves in NJ has been off limits due to white nose syndrome, which has been decimating the bat population in this state. When the state says its OK to enter mines then it will be enabled.

I've seen caches disabled long term while construction takes place at the site or for a number of other legit reasons.

Other responders have pointing out good reasons for leaving a cache disabled long term. There are also "bad" reasons: laziness, forgetfulness, no longer caching, and others. When you think about it, these bad reasons are pretty good excuses, too, in themselves. The real question is what problem the disabled cache is causing. We're all assuming no details were given in the disabled log, so there's no shame in posting a friendly needs archived log, asking for a fix, an explanation, or archival. Where I cache, "8 months disabled is long enough" would be a typical needs archived log for such caches. If there are good excuses of the type other responders are suggesting, the CO or the reviewer (or others) can respond by clarifying why they think the cache should remain in its current state.

As others point out, if you want to plant a cache in the area, direct contact with the owner might expedite that.