GPS + GLONASS + GALILEO + QZSS receivers

Hi,

Is there any gps receiver that receives GPS + GLONASS + GALILEO + QZSS? I read that STMicroelectronics has introduced Teseo II. Does anyone knows if garmin intends to use this new chipset?

regards

The etrex 10, 20, and 30 can receive both GPS and GLONASS. I believe it is the Teseo II chip set. I find it seems accurate with GLONASS off. I don't know if it is a firmware problem or it is better accuracy and the GPS only readings on the hides were off.

As said the new eTrex series is Teseo2 based, however there is only firmware support for GPS and Glonass, and it would surprise me if the firmware is maintained long enough to support other satellite systems (Galileo is destined for operational status in 2020 or so?)

Something that bugs me a bit is that there is no GLONASS ONLY mode in those receivers. Can't see a good reason why there isn't...

bugs me a bit is that there is no GLONASS ONLY mode in those (new etrex) receivers

Why does this bug you? Or put another way, what would the advantage be of having it?

Maybe in some areas the glonass system has overall better coverage and it's all you'd need - the system draws 10-15 mA more current if you use dual satellite systems. Also suppose if SA is turned on again or something or one system starts sending out bogus data then it'd be good to have the option of ignoring it. It's absolutely nothing I expect garmin to implement, but I can't see a good reason for why it is not implemented - it ought to be just some flag in the software. It could be so that the chipset does not allow for it, but that would be really strange.

Edited by tr_s
bugs me a bit is that there is no GLONASS ONLY mode in those (new etrex) receivers

Why does this bug you? Or put another way, what would the advantage be of having it?

Maybe in some areas the glonass system has overall better coverage and it's all you'd need - the system draws 10-15 mA more current if you use dual satellite systems. Also suppose if SA is turned on again or something or one system starts sending out bogus data then it'd be good to have the option of ignoring it. It's absolutely nothing I expect garmin to implement, but I can't see a good reason for why it is not implemented - it ought to be just some flag in the software. It could be so that the chipset does not allow for it, but that would be really strange.

If SA were to be turned on again the world would come to a halt. Airplanes would stop flying, trucks would stop running and not sure the ocean transport would really survive and farmers would face major problems planting and harvesting. And the poor traveler would have to read a map.

As for why GLONASS was implemented, that is simple, you have to pay a hefty duty to import into Russia unless you support GLONASS.

...the system draws 10-15 mA more current if you use dual satellite systems....

Gee, I don't if I should ask "Where'd you get that number?" or just "So what?"

With both G{S+GLONASS on, I get over 20 hours of life from cheap AA alkaline batteries -- and so much from lithium batteries that I gave up trying to do rundown timing. Even if the 10-15 mA extra draw is a fact rather than a number you made up, it's insignificant in actual use.

But I guess I would still like to see a citation for your current draw figures.

Edited by user13371

As for why GLONASS was implemented, that is simple, you have to pay a hefty duty to import into Russia unless you support GLONASS.

That's interesting to know and clears things up. Maybe that's primarily why it was included in the latest iPhones as well.

user13371 - I don't really see 10 mA as insignificant but do fully agree with you that the battery life of the 20/30 series is very good. The current number is not made up but my own measurements with a DMM (this was done because I had problems with a bad batch of nimh cells and thought the GPS was broken and eating batteries, this however was not the case.)

Just if you are interested, the device apparently pulls ~180 mA w/full backlight and GPS only. Add 10 mA when Glonass is thrown in. Turning off the backlight completely drops ~100 mA of draw. That the device would draw more power using dual sat systems is expected as the chipset has to chug through more data.

It seems to me that if you add more satellites to pick from, you have a better chance of finding a better fix than with fewer satellites. I have a new GPS and GLONASS cell phone and fix quality is still random and seems better with GLONASS turned on.

My experience with my etrex 30 is that with GLONASS on I am consistently 30-60 feet from the cache. With it off I generally get right on the cache.

Edited by jholly

Hi,

From what I read it is not consensual that with more satellites we get more accuracy. Is that so?

I wonder why Garmin has started using this new chipset (Teseo II) with Etrex. Will Etrex be the Beta Tester :) ?

And do you think that Garmin will continue to use this new chipset (TESEO II) on their handheld receivers? I am curious if Garmin will use it on the Oregon and Dakota.

Regards,

AA

...the device apparently pulls ~180 mA w/full backlight and GPS only. Add 10 mA when Glonass is thrown in. Turning off the backlight completely drops ~100 mA of draw.

So you can already save that 10mA by turning off GLONASS but it bugs you that you can't go the other way and use GLONASS only? Hpw much extra would you be willing to pay for an eTrex or other receiver that would let you have a GLONASS-only mode? Do any exist outside of Russian market?

Perhaps Garmin made GPS the "always on" system because it's been in service longer, a better known quantity to work with -- and only included GLONASS to avoid Russian tariffs on non-GLONASS devices (which seems to be a common rationale given for it's inclusion come other devices as well).

Edited by user13371

My experience with my etrex 30 is that with GLONASS on I am consistently 30-60 feet from the cache. With it off I generally get right on the cache.

Interesting. With my eTrex 20 with GPS + GLONASS enabled (f/w versions 2.70 & 2.80), I have had the GPS zero out a couple of times, as I was standing right over the cache and didn't realize it.

I wonder if it could be because I am likely further north (N45, W75)?

Interesting. With my eTrex 20 with GPS + GLONASS enabled (f/w versions 2.70 & 2.80), I have had the GPS zero out a couple of times, as I was standing right over the cache and didn't realize it.

I'm N47 and W122, a bit more north and a whole lot more west. The few times I had it on and got the results I got, and confirmed with a friends 60CSx, I decided to leave it off.

My experience with my eTrex 30 is that it is not nearly as accurate with GLONASS turned on. Darn Ruskies are playing games with us no doubt! <_<

And it's not quite as accurate as my trusty 60CSx, IMO. But it does have paperless geocaching, which covers a lot of faults.

I'm N47 and W122, a bit more north and a whole lot more west. The few times I had it on and got the results I got, and confirmed with a friends 60CSx, I decided to leave it off.

Hmmm. I'm going to turn GLONASS off and see how I do when I head out caching next.