dropping off a bug

Cachefoxxe

Ok I picked up a TB a few weeks ago, and have been to several caches where I could have dropped it off. However, when I checked the pages, I found that the TBs in them go missing very regularly. So I didn't drop it off. My question is should I hang on to it, until I find a "protected cache". Or just drop it off and hope for the best.

What I mean by "Protected" is a cache that is part of a multi or puzzle. The final stage, of which, is being held in a business, and the only way to get it it is to solve the puzzle go in and ask for it. There are several of these near me and I just have to figure out the final location.

I sent a message to the Bug owner and no response from them as to a preference. So for you bug owners out there. Would you rather the bug gets dropped off randomly or would you prefer if someone held on to it a while longer to make sure that it was safely dropped to continue its journey.

BTW this is my first TB find.

Congrats on the find! You are going to find people will be split on this.

There was a recent forum thread where a TB owner was fuming that his TB was left in a stage of a puzzle because (I think his reasoning was) the traffic is so few and far between.

I personally would appreciate the notice that you were holding onto it until you found a cache that seemed safer.

I've had a lot of TB's pass through my hands.. I aim for newer caches as I assume more cachers will stop by shortly.

Hope this helps!

As a TB owner, it would be great if the bug were placed in a cache that seemed to get a reasonable amount of visitors and was in good shape. You could place it in a puzzle or multi final but those tend to get less visits. TBs can sit for months in those.

TBs go missing for lots of reasons, it is a chance we take. Take the TB to a nice place, take a few pictures and send it on its way. So long as the cache itself isn't poorly maintained so the TB doesn't get wrecked, I say go ahead and place it.

Thank you thank you thank you for asking though! It shows that you are a conscientious cacher. Trackables will always do well in your care :)

I sent a message to the Bug owner and no response from them as to a preference. So for you bug owners out there. Would you rather the bug gets dropped off randomly or would you prefer if someone held on to it a while longer to make sure that it was safely dropped to continue its journey.

I don't mind so much if I know there's a plan. You could edit the TB logs, mentioning "This container doesn't look safe enough for the TB". A note would be good on the TB page like "I'm trying to find a great cache to place it in" -- and you can mention that you're still waiting for a reply to your email. Communication is key.

"Took it to" logs start concerning me after a month or so. I begin to wonder if the TB holder even has it anymore, with no actual text or photos. I try to guess when a TB has been lost, and if there's nothing but "Took it to" or no logs at all, that's one that I prepare to write off. No need to put lots of work into it, but an occasional log written by a person is very welcome.

Email from the site doesn't always work well. Some folks' email has filters or isn't set up right, so they don't get the PM, and they may even have replied but something went wrong. That's why I suggest an actual log on the TB page itself. It still gets emailed, but remains as record of what's going on.

Edited by kunarion

It seems like you're being very reasonable and careful. I'm not a big fan of lots of TB visits, but this is a perfect place to have the TB visit the cache when you log the cache find, then edit the empty log added to the TB to mention that you were thinking of dropping the TB in this cache, but decided not to because the cache looked a little dicey. Not only does that keep the TB owner informed, it adds another cache to its list.

By the way, the other side of the multi/puzzle coin is that those caches aren't visited by casual cachers that might be more likely to compromise a traveler.

Hi,

I'm quite new to caching and I came across my first trackable, a geocoin recently. What suprised me about the coin was that it didn't really have much info and the objective was quite vague "To Travel From Cache To Cache Any Where In The World", which just seems a bit boring? Or are most like this?

I've vistited it to a few caches and taken a couple of pictures. If I keep taking it to visit caches for 3 weeks, before I can take it further a field, is that acceptable?

I've also bought a couple a TB dog tag for myself and the wife, created little stories with objectives. I left mine on Monday and he is still there, but the wife hasn't dropped hers yet.

I've been to 2 caches where they are showing as having trackables present, and neither were actually there. Is this very common, as its quite disheartening and doesnt encourage me to send more trackables out there? What is likely to have happened to the ones that were meant to be there?

Hi,

I'm quite new to caching and I came across my first trackable, a geocoin recently. What suprised me about the coin was that it didn't really have much info and the objective was quite vague "To Travel From Cache To Cache Any Where In The World", which just seems a bit boring? Or are most like this?

Yes, quite a lot are like that. Sometimes the owners just like to enjoy the randomness of their trackable's travel.

I've vistited it to a few caches and taken a couple of pictures. If I keep taking it to visit caches for 3 weeks, before I can take it further a field, is that acceptable?

Yes, that's fine. Owner are usually happy enough to know that their item is still active, whatever it's doing. Just be aware that some owners feel that lots of visit logs (I mean lots), with no extra info or pics added to them, are a bit boring...

I've been to 2 caches where they are showing as having trackables present, and neither were actually there. Is this very common, as its quite disheartening and doesnt encourage me to send more trackables out there? What is likely to have happened to the ones that were meant to be there?

Yes, it's not unusual for trackables to be listed in cache inventories but the items are no longer in there. If you click the link in the inventory to take you to the trackable's page you'll often see it was dropped into the cache many months, or even years, before. Usually it's been taken by somebody who didn't know how to log it correctly... or forgot to do so... or has given up geocaching... and it could be lying lost and forgotten in a bag/car/coat pocket/anywhere by now.

When you go to a cache and the listed trackable is not there it's helpful to mention in your cache log that the item isn't in the cache and also to put a similar note on the trackable page to let the owner know.

MrsB :)

Mine tend to get "lost" like that once in a while. One may be in a cache just fine, then it gets a couple of weird logs, like "Discovered" (with no other info), then vanishes without a trace. Then, three months later, it's "Grabbed" (with no other info), and back in play again. In the meantime, it may be listed in a cache, and as far as I know, it's still there -- so it may be in the cache Inventory, not physically there, but can't exactly be marked "Missing" in case someone's simply a little late in logging it.

If you love surprises, send a Travel Bug out. Because they're full of surprises! :P

If you love surprises, send a Travel Bug out. Because they're full of surprises! :P

I've released this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=4121042

and will shortly be releasing this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=4121072

Excellent! May they travel far!

I've made four recently, using a doubled-over heavy steel wire that's embedded in the object (drilled deeply), and Gorilla-glued in place. One's a little stuffed animal, and the item would need to be destroyed to remove the loop. The TB Dog Tag is in that loop of wire. This one's my Hotdog Tag:

d18ba767-c582-4157-914b-6e26c5531865.jpg

Here's "A Little Pooh", so you can see the wire that holds the dogtag:

d6799dd9-5184-431c-9073-5c5aedb9a40e.jpg

Edited by kunarion