Muggles? What's bad about them?

Everyone has encountered muggles before. Beleive it or not, we were all once a muggle. But what's so bad about them? I always see nosy muggles as an opportunity to convert a muggle to a cacher, Unstead of a threat. So tell me, why are most people scared or nervous to go into an environment with muggles? If someone asks what you are doing, you can explain geocaching and hopefully convert them. If a cop asks you, you can explain geocaching. Nothing is illegal about it, so why he scared? I want to hear what other cachers have to say about why they don't like caching around muggles.

I've never heard anyone say they were "afraid" of muggles. We have to be careful to be discreet around them so the caches aren't taken, but.who ever said they were afraid?

And we really have plenty of cachers without going around recruiting. This game isn't for everyone. We really have plenty of cachers right now. I share it with those hiking with me, and those close to me, but I don't need to recruit strangers.

So tell me, why are most people scared or nervous to go into an environment with muggles? If someone asks what you are doing, you can explain geocaching and hopefully convert them.

I use my judgment when someone asks what I'm doing. About 95% of the time, I'll go ahead and tell them I'm geocaching. More and more people are aware of the activity these days. When a teenager or younger person asks, I might or might not explain geocaching. It depends on my initial impression of how mature they seem. If I'm concerned that they might trash the cache or completely remove it, then I'll come up with a cover story.

It's the muggles who don't ask what I'm doing whom I'm most concerned about and why I try to be aware of others when I'm geocaching. If they see me hiding something, then they might later come over, find it, and throw the "litter" away. Or call the bomb squad.

If a cop asks you, you can explain geocaching. Nothing is illegal about it, so why he scared?

I always tell law enforcement officers exactly what I'm doing. I think most people on these forums do as well. Again, most of them already are aware of geocaching, so most of my explanations are quite short these days.

Edited by CanadianRockies

I have told the story before about "muggling" a couple seeking a cache very near to our home, and becoming a "convert".

Thank you again Antelope Hunter and wife!!!! Had they not taken the time to be truthful in response to my "less than pleasant "what are you doing here" I would never have learned about the game.

There are many more non-players in my area than there are cachers. I have tried to introduce several of my friends and relatives, who I thought would be interested, to the game, with only one taker.

One told me " that has got to be the biggest waste of time I have ever heard of". To which I replied "Thank you!!!" That is EXACTLY what I am doing it for. To get out of the house, away from the crowds, away from the job, ect.

It is not for everyone. It is incredibly hard to determine whether or not someone else might be interested, or enjoy the game. One friend, who is an avid outdoorsman, and hunter, thought is was pretty lame. Another "technology geek" I thought would love it responded with an " I dont do outdoors".

I am very careful to avoid disclosing the location of a cache to anyone who might NOT ask what I am doing. Its those people, who will wait until you leave, and go see what you were doing, that I am most leery of. I would rather have someone ask, but most people don't.

Everyone has encountered muggles before. Beleive it or not, we were all once a muggle. But what's so bad about them? I always see nosy muggles as an opportunity to convert a muggle to a cacher, Unstead of a threat. So tell me, why are most people scared or nervous to go into an environment with muggles? If someone asks what you are doing, you can explain geocaching and hopefully convert them. If a cop asks you, you can explain geocaching. Nothing is illegal about it, so why he scared? I want to hear what other cachers have to say about why they don't like caching around muggles.

Who said they were bad? Who said they were afraid? Who said they were a threat? Who said they were scared?

Not scared, but cautious.

The main problem is that they may steal or vandalize the cache, especially if they do not understand the game. Or tell others about the cache who will do the same.

I once was doing cache maintenance and had 2 muggles 'catch me in the act'. I thought it would be a great oppportunity to tell them about geocaching so I did. They said there were some youths that would be interested. A week or 2 later, my cache went missing.

Another time, we let our daughter's friend help us hide a cache. She told all her friends at school about it. Many of them came to see and shortly after the cache disapeared.

And we really have plenty of cachers without going around recruiting. This game isn't for everyone. We really have plenty of cachers right now. I share it with those hiking with me, and those close to me, but I don't need to recruit strangers.

+1

Sometimes ..... Muggles are what make a cache fun! We have been to many microcaches, very prevalent in our suburban area, where the challenge was not the terrain or difficulty, but outwitting the muggles to grab the cache. If you know in advance that muggles will be a factor, and most of our local cachers will tell you that on the cache page, then acting inconspicuous, or pretending to be taking a survey of the local trees, or making a extended "call" on your "phone", i.e. GPS, makes the cache a fun and memorable one.

Yes, as others have commented, we always tell the truth to any lawperson or security person, and most of the time we explain geocaching to someone who asks what we're looking for. But most people don't really pay attention to what other people are doing. I have to admit that being friendly looking senior citizens also helps us to seem non-threatening, as though we're just wandering around aimlessly, so maybe that does give us an advantage in outwitting muggles. :lol:

+1

+1

Telling some one about caching isn't always about recruiting. A neighbor that's nervious about people looking thru nearby bushes may be calmed down knowing what's going on (done that). The more LEO's know about caching, the less likely they are to be uptight about people with devices in their hands at various times of the day/night (been there). Just because the "game isn't for [them]" doesn't mean they should be kept in the dark about it.

The main problem is that they may steal or vandalize the cache, especially if they do not understand the game. Or tell others about the cache who will do the same.

Hence the reason to explain the game. I have a good friend working for the local bus company in Park'nRide maintenance. He knows all about caching - isn't into himself - but makes sure the other workers know what caches are and to leave them where they are found. The one who knows is protecting our game from those who don't know and would discard the cache. So, I shouldn't have told him about the game?

+1

+1

Telling some one about caching isn't always about recruiting. A neighbor that's nervious about people looking thru nearby bushes may be calmed down knowing what's going on (done that). The more LEO's know about caching, the less likely they are to be uptight about people with devices in their hands at various times of the day/night (been there). Just because the "game isn't for [them]" doesn't mean they should be kept in the dark about it.

I have to agree with you here. There are certain circumstances where it's good to explain things, especially if your cache is near to houses. If I hide a cache like this, I do like to drop info in nearby mailboxes so the neighbors will understand what's going on.

Sometimes ..... Muggles are what make a cache fun! We have been to many microcaches, very prevalent in our suburban area, where the challenge was not the terrain or difficulty, but outwitting the muggles to grab the cache. If you know in advance that muggles will be a factor, and most of our local cachers will tell you that on the cache page, then acting inconspicuous, or pretending to be taking a survey of the local trees, or making a extended "call" on your "phone", i.e. GPS, makes the cache a fun and memorable one.

Wasn't it the great Narcissa who once said "Stealth required is a euphemism for there ought not be a cache here?" Also it's usually a euphemism for "I have no permission to hide a cache at this Starbucks". :lol:

Yeah, some people occasionally say here in the forums they enjoy being sneaky, or outwitting muggles. Not me, I couldn't be less interested in that aspect of caching, and ignore such caches. But to each their own.

I notice the OP is 13 years old, so no "fight club" as Frinklabs said. :P