who is in the wrong? pls help :-)

PirateKel

ok I have NO idea where to put this or where to look to see if anyone already mentioned something like this. I want to know opinions.... preferably by someone who REALLY knows.

ok... a cacher picked up my trackable. After holding on to it for much longer than the owner requested, and HANDING it to people instead of placing it, they finally drop it off. For reason not going to be mentioned, the owner of that cache had their cache archived and were kind enough to inform me that it was not there. Turns out the cacher who placed it there had picked it back up. Didnt log. I sent a message to see if they had it in their possession. Then I was threatened to be reported.

Please let me know if I am seeing this wrong, but it looks like it should be them who ought to be reported for not complying... not me for trying to find out where my TB is.

Edited by PirateKel

If I'm seeing it right the cacher you reference had the travel bug for just a few days over a month, but the one thing that cacher did do is get your bug a hell of a lot closer to the coast as opposed to the middle of Arizona. I don't see anyone in the wrong as far as the travel bug movement. Outside of that and the email exchanges, who knows?

Edited by doug_hollyNKC

These stories always have 2 sides, but I'd venture to say that there's nobody at "fault" because there's been nothing "wrong". Don't take your trackable too seriously, once it's out you have no control over what happens to it. Badgering somebody won't help. Without knowing the entirety of the story, which we probably never will, it looks to me like you're expectations are too high. At least your trackable got picked back up before the cache got removed.

These stories always have 2 sides, but I'd venture to say that there's nobody at "fault" because there's been nothing "wrong". Don't take your trackable too seriously, once it's out you have no control over what happens to it. Badgering somebody won't help. Without knowing the entirety of the story, which we probably never will, it looks to me like you're expectations are too high. At least your trackable got picked back up before the cache got removed.

This.

I just looked at your trackable page. Now I'm certain you're taking this thing too seriously. There's been plenty of movement, several photos, and an apology for some confusing exchanges all in a very short time. If I were in possession of your trackable and you posted that last note, I'd drop it in a cache and not even log that it was there. Not to mention in your description that you might contact the holder to move it along and want it done within a week? Nope, unless there's something in the emails coming from the other party that are blatantly inappropriate I see nothing wrong with the visable actions on the cache page.

I simply contacted the last person who had it to ask if they had it in their possession. Since they had it last, I do not see a problem with me asking them.

their response was - your tb was dropped at the now archived cache and picked up by another cacher who sadly had two deaths in her family and she wl move your tb when she can. Please do not bother me again or I will report you.

Now obviously I am very saddened by the person having the deaths in their family. They obviously need to grieve. But no one told me that me that. The person who owns the cache sent me a message saying that my TB wasnt in the cache that it is supposed to be in. But he said that they are on vacation and will ask them when they get back. I dont think that I should be reported for trying to find out where my tb is, when it has been in the hands of people who cannot comply to rules. Oh and BTW the person who sadly had the death in their family is NOT the person who is logged as having it in their posession.

man I hope that makes sence

there is a lot more too it that what you see on the TBs page.

But I mainly want to be sure that there is no reason for me to be reported. A TB is to travel and be placed in caches. not handed from person to person.

And all I did was ask if they had it still because if not I may have to consider it missing. I dont see anything wrong with that

Not to be rude-but it's a it's a piece of metal. Leave it be. You can't micro-manage it's life anymore.

I looked at your TB Page before I posted my first reply-I agree that you are taking it way too seriously.

If I were you, I'd chill out and not call people out on the bug page and the forums. Otherwise you might find your bug tossed in the trash...

Edited by JesandTodd

Please do not bother me again or I will report you.

This part of their response tells me that you've probably had previous communication. Did you send them any messages while they were in posession of the TB for those few weeks? We also don't know what your message(s) said, so we don't know what kind of approach was used (ie. wording, tone, etc.).

Just for future reference, I'd be ecstatic if my TBs were moved on in less than a month. A week is far too fast to be reasonably expected. Remember, there are a lot of micros out there these days, so it can be hard to find a spot to drop off TBs.

there is a lot more too it that what you see on the TBs page.

But I mainly want to be sure that there is no reason for me to be reported. A TB is to travel and be placed in caches. not handed from person to person.

And all I did was ask if they had it still because if not I may have to consider it missing. I dont see anything wrong with that

This isn't true. Your preference may be that it goes from cache to cache, but many bugs get handed off once or twice. If I have a caching friend going to Ohio, and I have a bug that I've been hanging onto or wants to go that direction, I'll hand it to them so the bug can move. Would you rather your traveler sit in one spot than get passed by hand and move?

well I assume it at least is supposed to be logged when handed over right? it was handed several times. regarless that isnt even the issue. I just dont want to be reported for just asking if someone has my tb in their possession.

I cant seem to find other info on contacting them btw :huh:

Edited by PirateKel

Don't get too concerned about "being reported". I can't imagine that the powers that be would do anything.

That being said, sit back and relax and enjoy the logs when and if your TB moves. Once a month is more than should be expected. Once a week is a fantasy.

A local cacher was going to Europe and took a lot of geocoins and TBs from other cachers with him. Same thing happened with another cacher going to Oz. These cachers had the travellers handed to them. They were placed in caches. As long as the TB/geocoin is moving and logged, I don't worry about it. Mine have been static - or probably lost - for 2 or 3 years. I have given up on travellers, but will get another for my vehicle.......

lol yeah... plus I may be a little crazy... it's more like my baby haha

It's not at all unusual for a travel bug or coin to be missing for a couple years and suddenly show up again. It's also not unusual for them to just disappear - never to be heard from again. Travel bugs seem to fare better than coins as far as not disappearing. Like several others have suggested: don't get too attached to them, be thankful for the cachers that put in the small amount of effort to log and drop them correctly, but mostly remember that once they're out of your hands you have no control at all over what happens to them.

well I assume it at least is supposed to be logged when handed over right? it was handed several times. regarless that isnt even the issue. I just dont want to be reported for just asking if someone has my tb in their possession.

I cant seem to find other info on contacting them btw :huh:

Yes, if someone takes possession of a TB they're supposed to log it. The site even has an option for transferring possession from one geocacher to another (Grabbed from another user).

Asking someone if they have your TB in their possession *shouldn't* cause them to report you to Groundspeak, and even if they did that wouldn't cause Groundspeak to take any action against you. However it's your last sentence that is a bit concerning. Why would you be looking for info on contacting them, unless you are considering asking them again about your TB? If you do so, after that person wrote, "Please do not bother me again or I will report you.", it is likely that they would report you and that Groundspeak might take action; not because you asked someone about your TB, but because someone asked you not to contact them but you did so anyway.

--snip--

If you do so, after that person wrote, "Please do not bother me again or I will report you.", it is likely that they would report you and that Groundspeak might take action; not because you asked someone about your TB, but because someone asked you not to contact them but you did so anyway.

That's exactly what I was going to point out