Choosing a new GPS

CacheHownds

So I'm looking to get a new GPS for geocaching (mainly) and something I can use on backroads and for fishing (possibly hunting later). Geocaching is going to be the main purpose. I've narrowed my choices down to the Garmin Etrex 30 and the Dakota 20. I'd appreciate any experience people have with these two units, as these are around my budget for what I plan on using them for.

Please don't tell me to check the reviews on here... I've tried searching before and didn't find the info I was looking for.

Any info is appreciated.

I'm interested too - I posted a similar query a bit ago & what I got out of the replies was that it was all about the features, and haven't been able to find anything about relative accuracy amongst the brands. Perhaps they all just come over on the same boat from the same factory, .. and they are all alike save for features?

And yes, I realize that's off topic, albeit slightly ..

Edited by garyg51

So I'm looking to get a new GPS for geocaching (mainly) and something I can use on backroads and for fishing (possibly hunting later). Geocaching is going to be the main purpose. I've narrowed my choices down to the Garmin Etrex 30 and the Dakota 20. I'd appreciate any experience people have with these two units, as these are around my budget for what I plan on using them for.

Please don't tell me to check the reviews on here... I've tried searching before and didn't find the info I was looking for.

Any info is appreciated.

It really does come down to the features you want, there's not any real noticeable difference in accuracy between brands. Of course this is based on what i've read, not on actual experience, so take it for what its worth The only difference may be an external vs. internal antenna, but again that's a feature, not a brand issue.

Both seem to have very similar features, besides for the Dakota being a touch screen. Price being a factor, I can get a Etrex for $20 cheaper online than locally, while I can get a Dakota 20 for $70 cheaper online than locally! Etrex has twice the internal memory, and both support micro sd cards.

What it really comes down to is what you prefer. If you can play with both of the models you want as samples in the local store, I would recommend that you do that. When it comes to internal memory, I wouldn't worry that much about it. Most of what you put on the unit will go on the SD card.

Some people like to put thousands of caches on their units for that, "Oh, let's see if a cache is near us moment." I have found that when I do this, the cache I am looking for has been disabled, missing, or something else that prevents me from finding it. I then pull it up on the computer and see that it wasn't there having looked for nothing. I would recommend that you frequently update the caches on your unit or have some type of smart phone app to verify if the cache is still there.

Bottom line is, do prefer touch screen or toggle? Answer that question and you will have your unit.

Just bought a Dakota 20 last week and so far I seem to like it...I compared it to my 60csx and for the most part it seems to work as good...only thing I can say so far is the screen is kind of tough to read on the Dakota 20 in the sun light at times but other than that seems to be really accurate.

:0)

I think I'm going to end up with the Dakota 20. $70 cheaper than the Etrex30, and only $50 more and can do more than the Magellan Explorist GC. It'll do until I figure what more I want to do with or have in a a GPS, besides geocaching.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Price different is $70 here. This will do until i determine what exactly kinds of features i want in a GPS, then I'll look at something more if/when the time comes and the amount of useage I get out of it.

I realize you say you have narrowed your search down to Garmin Etrex 30 or the Dakota 20. I am assuming you have ruled out the Magellan explorist 610 or 710 however I don't know if Magellan still has a trade in option but they were awhile back and it could mean you getting what you are looking for in a GPSR unit and a better price. just food for thought.

for more info on these units click here http://www.exploristforum.com/

Edited by garcor