Question about pathtag-carrying Geocoins

thesmurfinator

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, so mods feel free to move it to the correct place if needed.

I've recently retrieved a geocoin from a cache that carries a pathtag in it on a magnet.

I was the FTF to this cache and the pathtag is one from the owner.

I have looked at the trackable page for the coin and there is not much info on there.

My question is this - Should I leave the pathtag of the owner in place or can I exchange it with one of my own or one from my collection, before I send it on?

what is the general etiquette regarding these type of coins? I've seen a few of them and thought about getting one to place in one of my own caches along with a FTF pathtag. However I'm worried that the FTF will take the pathtag and not replace it with another, leaving the coin looking not very pretty....

any thoughts?

I would email the coin owner. When I had my Sherpa geocoins in the wild, I encouraged people to swap out the Pathtag, as long as one Pathtag stayed in the coin.

TMA

I released 2 Sherpa coins with similar instructions. One went missing without ever being logged out of the local event I had started it in. <_< The other went missing after 1 handler. <_< So much for that.

CF30

Ok thanks, I think if I got one of these I would ask in the profile that there always bee a tag left in it, however I don't know what percentage of cachers actually read the profiles of trackables, I've seen many instances of owner asking for photos of places that trackable has travelled or even the mission itself being completely ignored... I guess it is risk we have to take, along with them going missing...

what is the general etiquette regarding these type of coins? I've seen a few of them and thought about getting one to place in one of my own caches along with a FTF pathtag. However I'm worried that the FTF will take the pathtag and not replace it with another, leaving the coin looking not very pretty....

any thoughts?

Often, those non-trackable personal coins are traded for "something else worth a dollar" (although the coins are obviously much more valuable to them). If the pathtag is to remain on the Geocoin, it should be more permanently attached. Maybe people who have at some time been FTF on a cache would make the trades...?

But at least "Trade up or even", and there will be nice things for the next cachers. One plan is that there would always be some pathtag on it [EDIT: yeah, you already said that, great minds think alike :anicute:], FTF or not. I agree with LadyBee, that it's a good idea to ask the coin owner, who may even offer you a pathtag so the coin remains the same.

Edited by kunarion