Garmin GPS Durability

I've been weighing my options for my next GPSr. Obviously, there's the price and function factors but one that I've been mulling quite a bit recently has been the durability factor. I've been reading through the reviews and they've been very interesting and informative, however I did want to address the durability/longevity factor directly.

My concerns with the 3 leading Garmin units in contention are as follows:

Oregon: The touchscreen - Aside from the obvious issue of scratches due to handling the screen with dirt/sand/etc on your fingers (which I suppose could be avoided by using a screen protector or by licking your finger clean before each touch [i know, eww...]), for some reason, I get the feeling that a touchscreen interface would be less durable/more fragile than other interfaces and would be the first thing to fail on the Oregon (or any other touch screen GPS device).

eTrex 20/30: The Joystick - I've handled the eTrex at a local REI store and the joystick felt flimsy and felt as if, with extended use, it would break before the rest of the unit.

GPSMAP 62s: Buttons - This unit seems, to me, to be the most rugged out of the 3. However, my concern about the buttons stem from my current GPSr unit (Forerunner 205). I've had my current unit for around 4 years and due to buttons being the only controlling medium, the rubber button covers are wearing away. I assume that I'll be doing more "data entry" with a GPSMAP than with my Forerunner and have some worries about the durability of the more commonly used buttons. There are also some mentions in reviews about some squeaking when operating the power button. Now I understand that 4 years will take its toll on almost any GPSr unit, no matter how rugged, I wanted to take everything into account and know what I'm getting myself into before throwing in my lot with this pricier unit.

I am still very torn between these three units (leaning a tad bit toward the 62s though).

Edited by Postholedigger

The paint will definitely wear off the buttons on the 62s quite quickly with heavy use. I got over it pretty quick though. My 62s looks like it has been to war and back, but that doesn't change the useability of the device at all. First thing I did when I got it out of the box however, was to put a Zag Invisishield protector on the screen. Highly recommend doing that as a scratched up screen will definitely hinder the user experience.

In hindsight though, I wish I had gone with the higher resolution touch screen Oregon 450. Entering text is such a PITA on the 62s. They say that sun light readability is not as good on the Oregon, but I am willing to take my chances next time around with that aspect just to get the easy of text entering that comes with the Oregon. Especially because I use my 62s as an all-purpose device, loaded with City Navigator for car navigation as well. I am just waiting to see what is next from Garmin. I think the Montana is too big and the Oregon is due for an update soon.

They say that sun light readability is not as good on the Oregon, but I am willing to take my chances next time around with that aspect just to get the easy of text entering that comes with the Oregon.

OR text entry depends on how big your fingers are. I'm much happier using buttons. Sunlight readability on the OR is fine as long as it's handheld. Fixed position with varying sun angles would be tough.

I've been weighing my options for my next GPSr. Obviously, there's the price and function factors but one that I've been mulling quite a bit recently has been the durability factor. I've been reading through the reviews and they've been very interesting and informative, however I did want to address the durability/longevity factor directly.

My concerns with the 3 leading Garmin units in contention are as follows:

Oregon: The touchscreen - Aside from the obvious issue of scratches due to handling the screen with dirt/sand/etc on your fingers (which I suppose could be avoided by using a screen protector or by licking your finger clean before each touch [i know, eww...]), for some reason, I get the feeling that a touchscreen interface would be less durable/more fragile than other interfaces and would be the first thing to fail on the Oregon (or any other touch screen GPS device).

eTrex 20/30: The Joystick - I've handled the eTrex at a local REI store and the joystick felt flimsy and felt as if, with extended use, it would break before the rest of the unit.

Resistive touchscreens are known for fragility, because an impact can break the separation layer and effectively make the unit useless. I am sure Garmin has done something with those screens making them tougher than your average PDA, but best is probably not having the touch method there in the first place.

As for the eTrex's joystick, I have to agree it feels incredibly flimsy, and it was also generally an incredibly common problem with the old range of advanced eTrex units. Wouldn't surprise me if the 10/20/30 will fail in the same way; the reason we are not seeing reports of it yet is that the series is so new. But an even stronger argument against the 20/30 is the flimsy firmware, it seems like it was hastily produced with way too little manpower and time.

So therefore, I think you should go with the 62s... bummer it's so large though, but that can be advantageous too.

I have owned 2 Oregons and have not had any issues with them. I use screen protectors.

I haven't owned a 62 but did own a 60CSx, it's predecessor. The rocker held up ok, but the rubber membrane showed wear on the edges -- just cosmetic. Not sure this would occur with a 62 . . just throwing it out there.

I recently replaced my old Garmin Legend (joystick) with an Oregon 550. Although I did not expect to, I now prefer the touchscreen and it worked ok to at least -8C.

I forgot to add - buy and install a screen protector for whatever gps you choose! I have a Nuvi 1350 with several screen scratches so the 1st thing I did with my 550 was install a ZAGG invisibleSHIELD - worth every penny!

Edited by phlatlander

I've had my Garmin Vista HCx for a year and I have used it quite a bit. A friend of mine had a model back and his is a few years older. Both are holding up very nicely with minimal signs of wear.

I did buy the gizmo vest cast for my Vista which does an excellent job of protecting the rocker.

I have talked with others who said the touchscreen has held up fine.

I have an Oregon 450 and 62S ( and dozens of others ).

I greatly prefer the 62S...its more accurate and I don't care at all for the touch screen interface. The Oregon is tough though and after X thousand hunts still looks new .

My 62 doesn't squeak ( I don't think it would matter if it did ) and after almost 2 thousand hunts all still looks new including buttons.

As with all my units, when not in use they are in a soft canvas belt holster.....folks that dangle these things from their necks, belts, or other gear must not bushwack or have to deal with the briars I do or their units would look like my clothes.

Go for the 62S.....you'll be glad you did.