MerseysideCache

MerseysideCache

I am freaking out. I've lost someone's TB...well actually not somebody's...the TB belonged to a class of school children in london. Which makes it worse because they are the same age as my son (who's 8) I've went back to the place that the bug last visited. My husband and I searched for over an hr with no luck. I have looked all over the house and car...its just not there...

I've written the owner of the bug (the teacher I guess) and told her I've lost the bug and offered to replace it for her.

My question is...how do I do it? Do I buy the travel bugs and send them to her? Do I make it up and give her the numbers so that she and the class can track it??

I feel really awful about this...can't believe i was so irresponsible with it. :(

I am freaking out. I've lost someone's TB...well actually not somebody's...the TB belonged to a class of school children in london. Which makes it worse because they are the same age as my son (who's 8) I've went back to the place that the bug last visited. My husband and I searched for over an hr with no luck. I have looked all over the house and car...its just not there...

I've written the owner of the bug (the teacher I guess) and told her I've lost the bug and offered to replace it for her.

My question is...how do I do it? Do I buy the travel bugs and send them to her? Do I make it up and give her the numbers so that she and the class can track it??

I feel really awful about this...can't believe i was so irresponsible with it. :(

In direct answer to the question.... I think you should give the teacher time to respond. Between the two of you, I am sure that you can come to a resolution.

Whatever somebody could advise on the forums is secondary. Trying to "take care of it" in a rush is not necessarily the best thing to do.

That is good advice (about not rushing it) I guess I just didnt know how to do the travel bug if she was willing to take a replacement, and that's what I was really asking.

The teacher should already have a COPY tag of the TB. (S)he could re-release it... but, you really need more time to perform thorough searches. Sometimes misplaced items magically appear. Searches performed in (near) panic modes often fail to produce results.

:):o

As GG says

Don't panic!

I had a look on your profile for the TB - It's only been missing a few days, it may yet turn up. If it doesn't, then maybe the teacher will create a replacement TB to travel on the Copy tag and post it to you so it can be released in your area to continue travelling*. Or they may decide to release a new TB instead (you could offer to pay for a replacement - they're about £5).

I'd wait another couple of weeks yet... to see what happens. :)

MrsB

*If they decided to do this, and you later find the original TB, don't drop it off into a cache with a sigh of relief - only one TB must be out travelling on one tracking number, not both.

Maybe you did drop it in a cache and somebody else picked it up? Either they're going to log it, or they're waiting for you to log it that you dropped it off.

I misplaced one once that I had rescued. Instead of leaving it in the cache because they had already closed it and put it back, the person decided to lift a really heavy barrel planter and put it underneath. It took the bryno and the mann both to lift it up, so I could grab it and it was broken. I had them lift the barrel again, so I could grab the other piece, brought it home, glued it all back together and misplaced it. I did find it a long time later though and sent it back out. Hard Rock Harry made it 4 more years and all the way to Mexico before going missing.

Thank you for everyone's replies. There is a slight chance that it dropped out of my pocket when we were picking our son up from his first cub overnight ever. For just one night he had tons of stuff and I was struggling to take it all out to the car. Have e-mailed cub scout leader to ask her if she's found it..so who knows maybe its not lost just temporarily misplaced.

We would def want to replace the TB if she wasn't going to release her copy. I feel like its only fair since its my fault she doesnt have it anymore.

Losing things. I'm an expert with decades of experience. Finding things...Sit down somewhere comfy with a mug of coffee/tea and think about your caching trip. Think how good it is, think about finding the TB and what you did next. Continue to think what you did after that... e.g. Where did you put your pen? look to see if the TB went there instead of wherever you thought it went.

Could it have somehow got mixed up with some of your son's camping gear, and gone through the laundry or in with some of his other stuff? What were you carrying while caching (did you have an extra bag for putting something else in, like leaves or rubbish or special rocks?) Did you do any shopping on the way home (and could have left the TB in the shopping bag)? Did you double check by/under the computer, under/in the sofa and ALL around the car? (Things fall down by the car seat often. I recently 'lost' my mobile phone this way.) Could your son perhaps have borrowed it to take a closer look at it/keep it for a while and now might not be keen to own up to this?

Hope that helps!

Were you keeping tracks on your GPS that you could retrace?

I call my backpack (which I use as my purse) the Black Hole. I can look in there three times before I find my keys, and they are attached to my GPS. (Because I kept searching for one, then the other, and decided they needed to stay together.)

Your son sounds like a sensible sort, and knows when to keep his head down in the face of a freaked-out parent! Sounds like one of my own children! :laughing:

If you do find the TB, I wouldn't worry about how it got there. :)

Even if you don't find it, I hope it doesn't put you off geocaching, as these things happen sometimes, and you clearly didn't mean for the TB to go missing.

Edited by Fianccetto