Found A Canister, have no idea what to do

SL92

Hello,

Me and my fiance were walking down a bridge and found a little green canister on the ground with a geocaching log sheet in it. We have no idea what to do with it, have reviewed the site and cannot locate what it is or the certain challenge. There is no identifying codes or labels on it. Just people who found it on the log. Can someone please explain to us what we are supposed to do?

Thanks!

You are supposed to put it back where it came from, which is easier said than done given you don't know where that is. It is likely it belongs hidden somewhere on the bridge.

If you go to 1."play the game" and then 2"hide and seek a cache" 3.enter a close location like a town, 4.enter a distance range, say 10 miles you should get a list of all caches in that area. Look at the accompanying maps and maybe you will find a cache in the general area you found it. The directions may help you figure out where it belongs. I would also email the cache owner and see what he wants to do. Your cache description makes this sound like a "micro" or a "small" cache size.

A GPS unit would also help to get you within a few feet of where it came from.

Also check the info in the cache. If there is a code beginning with GC enter that and this website will tell you where it belongs.

But the most important thing you should do is have fun.

Edited by Geodalf

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. We actually found out where it came from and who setup the cache, we have contacted them to have it replaced in its hidden safe location so that way the game may continue. Awesome that we discovered this place on accident because we walked across a bridge. Very excited to be apart of this community and to go have fun searching for more caches!!!

Leigh & Shawna

Thanks,

We actually went and found our first actual one today in our area. About half a mile from our house, we had no idea this thing is so big there are literally thousands in our town, and even more surrounding us. We are going and purchasing a GPS for our car and handheld GPS so we can start going on weekend adventures to find caches. Absolutely love this such a great thing that was invented. Been watching youtube videos all day on how to build a proper Geocaching Pack for hiking and adventuring. Cant wait for the weekend now lol. Thanks again everyone, love being apart of this community.

Leigh & Shawna

We didnt think we should log the very first one since we didnt search for it, we accidentally found it on the side of the road. We logged another one we went and found today. But thanks for the warm welcomes.

Leigh & Shawna

I love reading stories of these accidental finds.

One evening last week our phone rang and I answered it...

The caller says, "Errr. Hello. You don't know me but I'm called Emma. I live near Gordano Services. My boyfriend was out walking with our dog and he found your box thing and brought it back home. We had a look at it and read the little book. I told him "It's some sort of treasure hunt thing. Go and put it back!". So I just thought I'd better let you know that we did take it but it's back in its place now. "

Me: "Well thanks very much for putting it back again. Have you heard of geocaching before?"

Emma: "No... But I know about it now!"

MrsB :)

My g/f and I found our 1st cache on accident too. Had no idea what it was, except that it was most likely a bomb (lol). I spent 10 minutes using a tree branch trying to open an ammo can. That didnt work.

Finally I shook it and figured it was just loose items, so I opened it, read the sheet and learned what geocaching was.

I went straight home, made an account and logged the find.

Even traded swag :-)

My g/f and I found our 1st cache on accident too. Had no idea what it was, except that it was most likely a bomb (lol). I spent 10 minutes using a tree branch trying to open an ammo can. That didnt work.

Finally I shook it and figured it was just loose items, so I opened it, read the sheet and learned what geocaching was.

I went straight home, made an account and logged the find.

Even traded swag :-)

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I would have loved to see you trying to open that can. That's great :lol:

I love reading stories of these accidental finds.

Me too. A couple of days ago I found a cache that was a 4 star puzzle cache. It has 7 total Found It logs but about a dozen entries in the physical logbook. It looks like the cache has been found, and logged, by muggles almost as often as by geocachers. Perhaps a few of them will become geocachers.