Caching for the Disabled or those with buggy's and children

Sssmokin!! & Mr Rhu

Friends of mine were saying that most of the caches in our area were not suitable for them as a family as they need to take the buggy with them for their young daughter.

Thinking about this, there aren't any suitable for disabled cachers either.

I have now created a cache in my local town which is suitable for both and intend to setup as many as I can in local towns.

I think this is a good challenge for all cachers out there to make a "buggy-able" cache. icon_wink.gif

technically, any cache with a 1 star terrain SHOULD be accessible with a wheelchair or baby stroller, but like you have found, thats usually not the case. A disccussion on it about a year ago prompted me to place This cache. Theres a link on the cache page to the very old forum thread that prompted the idea. Feel free to also use the icon if you like.

15398_300.gif

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/15398_300.gif 

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I did a 1.5/1 this past summer, which was not a 1.5/1 according to the guidelines. It involved elevation gain, rough trails, bushwhacking, etc. and at least two miles round-trip of hiking.

The cache owner didn't update the rating, even though myself and several other finders suggested it. The rating is at their discretion, so that's the way it goes.

quote:
Originally posted by Graveseeker:

I like the idea of using an icon (in additon to or in conjunction with the rating system) to indicate such. Maybe that could be added to the web page?

Ah, then we should open this discussion again, which basically didn't solve anything.

It's up to the cache hider to follow the guidelines we've worked out. If a cache hider doesn't rate their cache correctly, I doubt that we can be expected to have people adding an icon for wheelchair accessibility to their page. The ones who would add that icon, would probably go the extra effort to make sure the cache is rated correctly.

Bottom line: according to our current rating system, a one star cache should be wheelchair accessible.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I sure as heck can't tell what one person can do and another can't. Some guys do more with no legs than I do with them.

Others are lucky to get out of their bedroom and fix breakfast before they grab a beer.

And so on.

People with disablities should email the owner if you think the cache might be suitable for what their own limitations are and confirm. These accessable caches are out there, but nobody could ever certify they are ADA accessable and the ADA geocaching guidelines don't exist.

Maybe someone should contact the justice department and get them to come up with guidelines.

Wherever you go there you are.

It's actually really hard to work out what it wheelchair accessible. I had a list of places for the good weather clues of my cache, it was only when I took someone in a wheelchair with me that I discovered half of what I had thought would be suitable was in fact not at all suitable!

So even if we did have a category for wheelchair accessible it wouldn't be as straightforward as you might think.

It's easy to figure out if a wheelchair can get to a spot.

If you could roll a heavy stroller, baby carriage or shopping cart without lifting the wheels or getting stuck then you can get a wheel chair there. All you have to do is look down. If you've ever pushed a shopping cart in a parking lot you will be able to relate.

[soapbox]

It's not as hard to figure as most people think. A little thought and common sense is all it takes.

[/soapbox]

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

quote:
Originally posted by Harrald:

It's easy to figure out if a wheelchair can get to a spot.

If you could roll a _heavy_ stroller, baby carriage or shopping cart _without_ lifting the wheels or getting stuck then you can get a wheel chair there. All you have to do is look down. If you've ever pushed a shopping cart in a parking lot you will be able to relate.

[soapbox]

It's not as hard to figure as most people think. A little thought and common sense is all it takes.

[/soapbox]

In my line of work what people think is common sense gets more people killed. Worse people even get beligerent about it.

As for accessable, it's not easy at all. I even design outdoor sites to ADA standards. Of course for a small fee and 10,000 dollars I can make your goecache so that it has a good chance of the Justice Department determining it's ADA accessable but I won't gurantee it. My insurance company won't let me.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

<>

In my line of work what people think is common sense gets more people killed. Worse people even get beligerent about it.

<>

I sure hope no one gets killed at a 1/1 cache because of common sense.

I've been pushing a wheelchair for 14 years.

Nuff said