Removing of items

I am discovering that someone is removing the photos I place in caches that I visit

Is this acceptable behaviour?

Can such a member be removed if found guilty?

It's like he's harassing us

Could you explain this situation a little more clearly:

1. Are the photos in the physical geocache, or in the online log for the geocache?

2. If in the physical geocache, you are aware that people are allowed to trade items, right?

3. If they are being removed from the cache, what is the subject matter of the photos? Perhaps whoever is taking them feels they are not allowed.

4. If they are being removed from the online log, is it just one cache owner?

5. How do you know someone is taking them?

We can discuss whether or not this is acceptable once we understand better what it is we're talking about here.

Are you posting spoiler photos showing the cache or its location on the cache page? If so, then it is within their rights to remove the photo.

If you are putting photographs in the cache and they are disappearing then people are either trading for them or they got wet and were removed so they don't ruin the cache. What are the pictures of? Are they family friendly?

I looked at some of your gallery. The pictures of cache containers are often removed by the CO so nothing is given away about the container.

Noticed many pictures of caches have your picture in them. Is that your calling card? if so, many cachers like to collect them.

Not sure what you are referring to, more info is needed.

P.S. only the cache owner should say what has to stay in the cache. Everything else is swag for trade.

It's quite a complex situation / problem

I have made little photos of my wife and I, same as the avatar photo to place in caches we discover

I laminate them, so they are weather proof and good quality

There was a Troll on another forum who discovered we are also doing caching and admitted that he thinks it's a stupid idea to place these photos and admitted that whenever he discovers a cache with our photo in it, he throws them away

He follows our trail and then finds caches

I have since placed photos, but did not publish it

It seems very childish to me for a person to go to such measures and action

Yup. I looked too. Nice gallery!

People are not stealing your photos. They are most likely collecting signature items, as they are known. Be flattered.

Good point, took note of it

Maybe I should place two photos in the caches and mark the one for his attention, then he knows wich one to add to his collection

P.S. only the cache owner should say what has to stay in the cache. Everything else is swag for trade.

It's quite a complex situation / problem

I have made little photos of my wife and I, same as the avatar photo to place in caches we discover

I laminate them, so they are weather proof and good quality

There was a Troll on another forum who discovered we are also doing caching and admitted that he thinks it's a stupid idea to place these photos and admitted that whenever he discovers a cache with our photo in it, he throws them away

I have since placed photos, but did not publish it

It seems very childish to me for a person to go to such measures and action

Oh, well that's just weird. Someone, other than you, needs to take this person aside at an event and explain the signature item to them. Many people leave photos in caches. There is a cacher who covers a very wide area around here that leaves pictures of his boat. I can't tell you how many of those I've seen.

It seems you have made an enemy. I'm not sure what can be done about this. Stuff you leave in the cache is up for grabs. It doesn't matter if I take something from a cache if I throw it away, or enshrine it. Do you know his geocaching handle? Can you prove he's harrassing you? Even if so, I think banning someone is difficult to do, and not done lightly. (Not to mention that there are ways around this if they are really determined to harrass you.) I think generally someone has to be a much larger nuisance to the community at large, or do something much worse (like threaten you) to be so sanctioned.

I'm very sorry you have having this experience. Leaving the photos is a very nice thing to do in my opinion. It is a lot more interesting and personal than so many other things people leave in a cache.

Proving that he is doing this will be very difficult, the fact that he bragged about it also says nothing, he is just a poor sod that gets a cick out of this

His aliases was banned on other forums, they caught him on the same IP address

His action will not dampen our effort to go out there an find them

What a lovely family hobby this turned out to be

Rise above it, and for a while, leave another type of anonymous sig item but just state "left something" in your online log. Or ... leave nothing. After a few weeks/months try your pic again, but leave it out of the online log. That person must be very unhappy to be doing something like this.

That is a lovely photo of both of you by the way.

I think you have the right attitude here. I hope he loses interest in bothering you, because seriously, most people who play this game would really enjoy your signature photos - personal, hand-made items like that are HIGHLY prized.

Proving that he is doing this will be very difficult, the fact that he bragged about it also says nothing, he is just a poor sod that gets a cick out of this

His aliases was banned on other forums, they caught him on the same IP address

Keep your chin up, that's the stuff!

World is filled with weirdos and nutters. Can't please them all and can't always avoid them, either.

Some people are just jerks. I made an enemy of a fellow geocacher (over the fact that I "spoiled" the fun of other geocachers because I posted a picture of a cache log for one of his caches). He went out of his way to try to get me banned - he even went so far as to accuse me of "stealing" a couple of his (often muggeled and have to be replaced I might add) geocaches when they (again) went missing.

Some people are just jerks. I made an enemy of a fellow geocacher (over the fact that I "spoiled" the fun of other geocachers because I posted a picture of a cache log for one of his caches). He went out of his way to try to get me banned - he even went so far as to accuse me of "stealing" a couple of his (often muggeled and have to be replaced I might add) geocaches when they (again) went missing.

There are people who are predisposed to being angry about something and giving them the least little thing really makes their day and gives them a sense of purpose.

Too hard for me to carry a grudge, requires far too much energy and focus, as it is I can scarcely remember to bring my GPSr with me with all the organizing it takes just to get out the door some days. B)

A guy called on me today producing a photo I put into caches, it was lying beside a path close to a cache where I have placed a photo

He asked me what it's about?

I had to explain the whole geocaching thing to him, he was very interested but also could not understand the reason for destroying cache contents

I hope this guy loses interest into the whole caching thing fast

everything you LEAVE in a cache, is not yours anymore !

it is swag/stash/trade items,

only items left by CO and specially written by him,

items listed to be KEEPT the cache are supposed to stay there..

I do find alot of stuff people leave in caches, some things looks like trach to me, and is removed by me,

other things like cool laminated pictures and such I enjoy to look at and leave it if there is plenty of space for it,

if a cache is over filled, so container can not be closed to be water tight, I take out stuff until contailer can close perfectly,

less valued stuff out first, I judge what is value or not..

I do find my taste to be the same as the avarage geocacher, good luck for that :-)