Oregon 450

Just purchased and Oregon 450 wondering if anyone has an Oregon 450 and uses it for geocaching.....just had a few questions as far as downloading caches. No problem doing the pocket quaries..when it comes to downloading the caches to the oregon, having a bit of a problem. Wondering how other Oregon users do this transfering.

Thanks,

Bryan

when it comes to downloading the caches to the oregon, having a bit of a problem

All you need to do is unzip the PQ ZIP files and copy the GPX files into the [Garmin drive]/Garmin/GPX folder.

I am glad this topic came up. I had done as A-Team suggested on my 450 but the caches only came up as waypoints, not as geocaches. I had to use GSAK's interface which gives you the option of dowloading them as caches or as waypoints in order to get the GPX file of caches to show up under "geocaches". So I download unfound caches as geocaches and my hides/found caches as waypoints to work around the geocache limit on the GPSr unit.

I had done as A-Team suggested on my 450 but the caches only came up as waypoints, not as geocaches. I had to use GSAK's interface which gives you the option of dowloading them as caches or as waypoints in order to get the GPX file of caches to show up under "geocaches".

Hmm, that's not supposed to happen. If you drop a GPX file containing caches into the GPX folder, it's supposed to interpret them as geocaches. Like you, I usually use GSAK, but I just tried plunking a PQ GPX file onto my 450 to make sure, and they were recognized as caches.

Only minor problems here. I added a 4GB micro SD to mine and keep maps (downloaded from GPSFileDepot.com) on there, but recently started keeping my PQ files on there, too. Some glitch in the construction makes the SD come loose and I lose my caches. Powering down, removing SD, powering up, powering down, inserting SD and powering back up resets everything. Nice having 5,000 caches in there :)

Only minor problems here. I added a 4GB micro SD to mine and keep maps (downloaded from GPSFileDepot.com) on there, but recently started keeping my PQ files on there, too. Some glitch in the construction makes the SD come loose and I lose my caches. Powering down, removing SD, powering up, powering down, inserting SD and powering back up resets everything. Nice having 5,000 caches in there :)

To cure this problem, I use a small piece of folded over duct tape (folded over so it's not sticky), ensure the micro is inserted correctly, place the tape over the micro, and then insert the batteries. When I remove/replace the batteries I do it one at a time so as to leave the tape in place. Since I started to this, end of problems.

when it comes to downloading the caches to the oregon, having a bit of a problem

All you need to do is unzip the PQ ZIP files and copy the GPX files into the [Garmin drive]/Garmin/GPX folder.

I am glad this topic came up. I had done as A-Team suggested on my 450 but the caches only came up as waypoints, not as geocaches.

Either something's not right with how you are copying the PQs to the Oregon, or you have an issue with your Oregon. I have been copying .gpx files to \Garmin\GPX for years, as have a number of people I know. In my case, that folder is on a card. Everyone winds up with the caches in the "Geocache" category.

Even on the occasions I use GSAK, I still produce the .gpx and manually copy it to the \GPX folder.

Edited by New Jersey TJ

There is more than enough built in memory in the 450 to store all the caches it can handle anyway. You can store a huge number of gpx files (200 or so?), but 5,000 caches is the limit before you start experiencing invisible caches. I recommend that you use the memory chips for maps ONLY, so that if that chip comes loose, you aren't completely foiled. Store the gpx files in the gpx folder of the unit itself, keep it under 5,000 caches, and you shouldn't have any problems.

I'd disagree and suggest putting the GPX on the SD card.

The reason? Most cache loading issues (i.e. when it messes up displaying caches) can be cured by deleting the GPX file, rebooting and then reloading the GPX.

This is easy if you catch it at home but if it happens in the field then you are stuffed....unless you have it on the card and you can removed it, reboot and then put in in again, reloading the caches.

I tried experimenting with all different methods and the only way that worked is using GSAK. I have tried loading the GPX file to the SD card and it doesn't end up showing any waypoints or caches (the SD card is recognized when I plug it into the computer so it is installed correctly). Loaded to the built-in memory and they come up as waypoints. Maybe I need to reboot the GPS, unplug everything and start from scratch? I will have to play with it some more.

Slukster, just to reiterate, you are:

1 - unzipping the PQ

2 - copying the unzipped .gpx file

3 - the file(s) are copied to \Garmin\GPX

right?

If you are copying to that folder on the GPS, try creating those folders on the card and copying them there.

If that is in order, it might be time for a hard reset.

Edited by New Jersey TJ

I am glad this topic came up. I had done as A-Team suggested on my 450 but the caches only came up as waypoints, not as geocaches. I had to use GSAK's interface which gives you the option of dowloading them as caches or as waypoints in order to get the GPX file of caches to show up under "geocaches". So I download unfound caches as geocaches and my hides/found caches as waypoints to work around the geocache limit on the GPSr unit.

Still having a problem.....never really been able to download caches through GSAK, but then I realized the ver...of GSAK I'm using is 6.6.5...I expect that is my problem. Also when I uzip my PQ it goes directly to a GSAK file in which I copy to my Garmin\gpx the try to open up in my oregon, no luck...turn on the oregon and hit my Geocache icon and it says no geocaches found....hmmm. Being an old timer, I have a hard time with new stuff...anyways thanks to all the reponces, and I will continue with many more hours on the PC.

Bryan

Where do I find GSAK's interface where it gives me the option Geocaches or waypoints.

Thanks,

Bryan

Where do I find GSAK's interface where it gives me the option Geocaches or waypoints.

Thanks,

Bryan

OMG...OMG, got the thing solved.

Thks. to everyone that helped.

-PQ

-right clicked the larged GSAK file

-extract to specific disk K folder

-Destination path small block V

-select j:\Garmin\gpx

BINGO

Gecocaches now show on the oregon. :rolleyes:

Edited by Cache Pack

Still having a problem.... which I copy to my Garmin\gpx the try to open up in my oregon, no luck...turn on the oregon and hit my Geocache icon and it says no geocaches found....

Cache Pack,

By chance, are the caches your are loading a fair distance from you? Even if the caches are loaded properly, the GPS will only show you closer ones. (50 mi limit comes to mind, but I'm not sure.) If that's the case, try searching alphabetically for the name of one you know you loaded.

Edited by New Jersey TJ