Dumb Question about GPS Coordinates

I'm a new Geocacher, having just joined in the last 30 days, and I came across a cache description in my area that I'd like to try to find. However, the cache is not actually at the listed coordinates. Without giving away too much, here's an example based on the information for the cache in question.

This cache is listed at coordinates N 000 degrees XX.XXX' x W 000 degrees XX.XXX, but this is actually the location of a sign, intending to give a clue to the final location of the physical cache. Some math is involved, but the gist is that if you add XX to one coordinate and subtract XX from the other coordinate, you get the coordinates of the physical cache.

My question is, HOW do you do the addition and subtraction to the coordinates? Do you:

N 000 degrees xx.xxx'

plus .yyy

---------------------

equals xx.zzz

or

N 000 degrees xx.xxx'

plus yy.---

---------------------

equals zz.xxx

???

I'm sorry if this seems like a really dumb question, but I haven't learned how exactly to read coordinates yet and because I'm using an iPhone, I don't even know how (or if!) I can enter coordinates by keying them in. If you can just point me in the right direction on where to look in the community topic postings, I don't mind researching stuff myself. Right now, I'm just too green to know.

I will say that I am really enjoying playing this game. I've released a number of trackables and even picked up three, one of which I finally found a cache big enough to release it. (It was attached to a traveler that simply would not fit in any of the caches I'd found up until yesterday.) I still have two more that I want to release, but I have to find caches they'll fit in, due to the size of the attached travellers.

On another tangent, I have found several caches that have listed trackables in their inventories, but when I get there, they're gone, without having been logged, I'm guessing, because they still show in the inventory. Since I haven't seen them, I don't have their tracking numbers to submit a note that they're missing. Is there a way to notify someone that they're no longer in the cache and have potentially been muggled? I tried to "Write Note" for one of the items, but without the tracking number, you can't submit a note. Suggestions?

Thank you for your help! I appreciate any input I can get that will help me keep having fun with this game as well as helping me to explain it to others who go out with me looking for these things (like my kids and one of my coworkers - I haven't gotten them to sign up yet, but I'm working on it!).

On another tangent, I have found several caches that have listed trackables in their inventories, but when I get there, they're gone, without having been logged, I'm guessing, because they still show in the inventory. Since I haven't seen them, I don't have their tracking numbers to submit a note that they're missing. Is there a way to notify someone that they're no longer in the cache and have potentially been muggled? I tried to "Write Note" for one of the items, but without the tracking number, you can't submit a note. Suggestions?

They could have been taken a day or so before you visited, but the person taking them hasn't got around to logging them.

It's usually the CO's job to keep track of what is in their cache and notify the TB owner. But if you bring up the cache page then clicking on the TB in the inventory will give the TB owner...who you can send a message.

As for the other question...really need to see the cache page....

Generally the decimal minutes are added/subtacted as per decimal rules. However adding/subtracting minutes may result in >59 or <00 so one has to pay attention to that detail.

Any chance you could post the geocache code, that would simplify providing some assistance.

There are no dumb questions, but there can be many dumb answers...

You can "write note" on a coin page without the tracking code. I just wrote you one on yours, feel free to delete it.

As others have said, perhaps you should link the gc code for the cache you are referring to.

I'm not sure where your note is on my coin page; I pulled up my tracking page and don't see anything out there. Sorry, I'm confuzzled.

The cache I'm referring to is GC2HEFP. I want to find this cache because I live here and I've known about this site since I was a kid. When we'd pass by it, I'd always look for the mosaic because I thought it was pretty and it was a sign from the past.

http://coord.info/TB4VQZA

You should have also got an email alert about my log.

And by the look of that cache, it would make sense to only apply the changes to the numbers after the decimal point.

So, coordinates N 000 XX.XXX + --.yy- = location, if I'm reading this correctly. As opposed to N 000 XX.XXX + --.-yy = location. I was adding to the very end, not the first two numbers directly after the decimal.

Edit to add: Yes, I got the alert about the log. Thanks for that. I guess this needs to be done online, rather than in the field.

Edited by spiritwolf922
Count the letters in the last word of the Mosaic. Multiply the count by eight(8) and subtract the answer from North coordinates. Multiple the count by three(3) and add to the West coordinates. This will give you the final coordinates.

The way i read that is if the mosaic said "Happiness for all" i would take 3 for "all" x 8 for 24 then I would subtract that 24 from the 251 for 227 and then i would take that same 3 x 3 for 9 and add it to 706 for 715

so the coords would be N 38° 35.227 W 090° 18.715 if the last word was 3 letters

If you applied those changes to the "minutes" section before the decimal you would end up with N38 11.251 W90 27.706 which is 46 kilometers away from the posted coords.....cache description also says its a bout 1.5 mile walk round trip so....

Count the letters in the last word of the Mosaic. Multiply the count by eight(8) and subtract the answer from North coordinates. Multiple the count by three(3) and add to the West coordinates. This will give you the final coordinates.

The way i read that is if the mosaic said "Happiness for all" i would take 3 for "all" x 8 for 24 then I would subtract that 24 from the 251 for 227 and then i would take that same 3 x 3 for 9 and add it to 706 for 715

so the coords would be N 38° 35.227 W 090° 18.715 if the last word was 3 letters

If you applied those changes to the "minutes" section before the decimal you would end up with N38 11.251 W90 27.706 which is 46 kilometers away from the posted coords.....cache description also says its a bout 1.5 mile walk round trip so....

I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for your help. :)

They could have been taken a day or so before you visited, but the person taking them hasn't got around to logging them.

RIt's usually the CO's job to keep track of what is in their cache and notify the TB owner. But if you bring up the cache page then clicking on the TB in the inventory will give the TB owner...who you can send a message.

I don't recall anything saying that the owner had to deal with transitory travelers and notify the owner. Are not the cache owners problem.

RIt's usually the CO's job to keep track of what is in their cache and notify the TB owner. But if you bring up the cache page then clicking on the TB in the inventory will give the TB owner...who you can send a message.

I don't recall anything saying that the owner had to deal with transitory travelers and notify the owner. Are not the cache owners problem.

No, but if I had a trackable listed in one of my cache's inventory and it wasn't actually there, then I'd notify the owner (after a decent length of time) so they could mark it missing or whatever they wished to do. Just out of courtesy, as I'd hope a CO would do for any of my TB's :)