Looking to make multi-cache with "seperate" caches?

JJPMKE

Ok, I know the title is a little confusing so let me explain what I am trying to accomplish. I want to make a Cache with seperate stages at seperate locations all within the same town, but inside of each cache their will be a "piece" that you must take with you and keep. After finding all "pieces" you will be able to retrieve the Final cache. So, what I want to do to make sure that everyone has succesfully found each cache I would like to post them indidually, so each "stage" having its own individual GC#. Is this possible? And yes I plan on placing/replacing the "pieces" as needed so there is always plently there. The final cache in this would only be able to be retrieved if you have found all prior caches in the series. Any help is greatly appreciated, Jason

We have series like that here, and instead of a "piece" it's a code on each of the 4 containers. After you found all 4 caches and get the code, you can determine the coordinates to the Bonus in the series.

Each of the 5 caches is separate, with their own GC number. Each is listed as a puzzle cache.

I suppose that if you wanted the first four to be traditional, then the final a puzzle (since you need something from each of the previous 4) that would work too.

What you describe is known as a bonus cache. You can have hints, or coordinates, or puzzle pieces in one or more caches that are needed to find the bonus cache. The bonus cache is then listed as puzzle or Unknown type cache.

The Help Center has more information about Bonus Caches along with a number of other Unknown/Puzzle caches that have special guidelines. The main issue to watch out for is chaining bonus caches. The hints and clues for the bonus cache should be hidden in traditional caches or if any are puzzle caches, these should be puzzles that stand on their own and don't depend on finding any other caches.

----------------

A bit off topic here, but I've expressed my personal objection to the no chaining rule. There have been a number of clever ideas for chaining caches that have been turned down because of this rule. I would like to see some flexibility here. Unfortunately, the practice of making exceptions for special cases seems to have go by the wayside as reviewers seem to prefer to inflexible guidelines to taking some risk.

The main issue to watch out for is chaining bonus caches. The hints and clues for the bonus cache should be hidden in traditional caches or if any are puzzle caches, these should be puzzles that stand on their own and don't depend on finding any other caches.

----------------

A bit off topic here, but I've expressed my personal objection to the no chaining rule. There have been a number of clever ideas for chaining caches that have been turned down because of this rule.

May I ask what "Chaining" means? Thank you for explaining.

The main issue to watch out for is chaining bonus caches. The hints and clues for the bonus cache should be hidden in traditional caches or if any are puzzle caches, these should be puzzles that stand on their own and don't depend on finding any other caches.

----------------

A bit off topic here, but I've expressed my personal objection to the no chaining rule. There have been a number of clever ideas for chaining caches that have been turned down because of this rule.

May I ask what "Chaining" means? Thank you for explaining.

Oops. Sorry I used the term without defining it.

Chaining refers to hiding the coordinates for one bonus cache in another bonus cache, so that in order to find cache A you must first find cache B, but to find cache B you must first find cache C, and so on. Ostensibly the rule is to prevent the case where one cache goes missing resulting in people being unable to find several other caches. If one cache in a traditional bonus series is missing, a cacher can keep working on the other caches in the series. There may even be enough information to guess the location of the final (I've found several bonus cache without finding the entire series because I was able to figure out the missing pieces). But if the caches are "chained" it is likely that as soon as one cache goes missing, you'd be stuck and unable to go any further until the cache owner either replaces the cache or provides the missing information some other way.

This is an obscure guideline because it only appears on the reference that I posted in the Help Center. I don't believe there is even a way to get to it from the "guidlines". Sort like when the chain to the bonus caches is broken.

Edited by tozainamboku

Sounds great! I've done many such series. I have to admit, I've never had one where you actually take something physical with you from each cache, but if you're willing to make sure they're always well stocked -- forever -- that would be a really cool variation.