Magellan or Garmin?

Orangestorm

Sorry about the mega-noob topic, but I currently own a Garmin eTrex. It is a pretty basic system that isnt cutting it for my geocaching needs. I am looking at the Garmin eTrex 10 or the Magellan eXplorist 110. I am leaning towards the eTrex because I currently use the Garmin brand and I really like the interface of it, but I need an expert opinion. Can anyone help me out with this? I just want an opinion on these two systems. They are both in my price range, and I dont need to complicate my choices anymore.

Edited by Orangestorm

I have owned two Magellan's and did not like either one. I got a Garmin GPSmap 60 a few years ago and liked it a lot and keep it as a back up. You can get them pretty cheap now as the new model has come out. I now mostly use a Delorme Pn 60 and love it. So what ever your budget allows I would go with a Garmin

Sorry about the mega-noob topic, but I currently own a Garmin eTrex. It is a pretty basic system that isnt cutting it for my geocaching needs. I am looking at the Garmin eTrex 10 or the Magellan eXplorist 110. I am leaning towards the eTrex because I currently use the Garmin brand and I really like the interface of it, but I need an expert opinion. Can anyone help me out with this? I just want an opinion on these two systems. They are both in my price range, and I dont need to complicate my choices anymore.

The Etrex 10 is definitely a black and white display. I'm not so sure it has paperless caching capability. Someone else will have to answer that. The Explorist 110 is very new (i.e. came out in January). It has a color display, and world-wide base map. The map isn't bad at all, I have it on my slightly more expensive Explorist. The Explorist 110 DEFINITELY has paperless caching capabilities, and from what I can figure, holds about 500 caches.

I think I am going to go for the eTrex 20 based on what eusty said and some additional research I did on my own. Thanks everyone for the input!

Best price I've seen for any of the 3 mentioned is on Amazon.com

I found a better price on www.pcnation.com. 31 dollars cheaper then retail! :grin:

I'd go with Garmin. I was once a diehard Magellan fan but since they dropped the Meridian line I haven't cared for anything they've made.

IMO I'd try to get the 30 to pick up the electronic compass. Just a note.....I don't care about where north is, etc, I carry a military compass....what I do like is a pointer which aims right at the cache I'm trying to get to even if I'm walking slow or standing still....I cache in environments where at times its hard to walk at all must less at 3 mph.