samsung galaxy s2 vs iphone 4s

SOEKNOG

We have long been geocaching with our Tom Tom 1 and are looking to get a smart phone to help us try go paperless and take wiht us on holidays without printing out reams of caches. Does anybody have any opinion as to whether either of these phones are good or bad?

I have a GalaxyS but also use an Oregon 450t & have used 2 other smartphones in the past. The smartphones work good, but they have drawbacks. They are not as reliable as a dedicated gps unit. Unless you need a new phone anyway, I'd spend the money on a good gps instead.

The main issue is that the geocaching app on iPhone is so battery hungry it can severely limit your caching experience. If you just want to go out for a couple of hours, then fine, but if you are on an all day hike to find two dozen caches you're iPhone is likely to give up before you get half way.

My experience in regards to the comparison between iPhone and Android came from a friend of mine with a Samsung Galaxy S. While I was using my iPhone and Geocaching App, she was using her Android and its Geocaching App. While I had no trouble zeroing in on our location, she couldn't even get close. We did it mostly as a comparison to see whose phone we would bring as backup to my GPS or to look up caches on the go, and the iPhone came out on top by a large margin.

If I were to suggest an excellent option it would be to buy yourself an entry-level or mid-range GPSr and combine it with an iPhone 4 or 4S. Best possible combination, in my experience.

I'll throw my hat in this game, too. We haven't been geocaching for long, but I have had experience with both a dedicated unit and an app. We have a Megellan Explorist GC and I have geocaching.com's app on my Saumsung Repp. I've used the app and it works great, but the last time I was out with just my phone it started raining. The GC is water resistant, but my phone isn't, so I was done for the day.

The smartphone app is great for a spur of the moment cache when I don't have my GPSr. But, at least for me, it isn't a replacement for a dedicated unit. If cost is an issue, Magellan and Garmin both have units with paperless caching that can be had for right around $100-$120 that will let you cache all day and still have some life left in your phone's battery.

My experience in regards to the comparison between iPhone and Android came from a friend of mine with a Samsung Galaxy S. While I was using my iPhone and Geocaching App, she was using her Android and its Geocaching App. While I had no trouble zeroing in on our location, she couldn't even get close. We did it mostly as a comparison to see whose phone we would bring as backup to my GPS or to look up caches on the go, and the iPhone came out on top by a large margin.

If I were to suggest an excellent option it would be to buy yourself an entry-level or mid-range GPSr and combine it with an iPhone 4 or 4S. Best possible combination, in my experience.

Yup. I cache with other droid users and they typically get very frustrated with how quickly my iphone kicks butt while theirs is still looking around.

The iphone 4s is even better than iphone 4. Battery life is an issue, but there are several ways to minimize batt loss. I use field notes and pocket queries, so I have many of my batt drains turned off. I also use ask Siri to dictate my logs as I hike to the next cache!

That being said, a smartphone coupled with a GPSr is a wonderful combo. I have a garmin 60CSx and the two together are fantastic! Can't really beat it... I got my 60 on ebay for a very reasonable price.

Edited by JesandTodd

To keep on-subject, to answer the question of Android Galaxy S2 or iPhone 4S - I'd recommend the 4S by a longshot. Not so much from first-hand experience (though I have a friend who uses the galaxy for caching), but from everything I've heard.

Obviously, if you did have the intention of pairing a smartphone and gpsr, then go for it.

But Galaxy vs 4S? 4S by far.

If you're worried about battery or which app, I recommend Geosphere - it's cheaper, more flexible, and great for offline caching (it caches map tiles for when you have no data, and allows you to turn off the GPS use quickly & easily to save battery). Its only drawback at this point is that it doesn't yet implement the API, working primarily from GPX files and PQs. The embedded browser however makes grabbing that data extremely simple as it downloads it right into the app from the web page links (PQ download or the GPX button on the listing). The UI is friendly, dynamic, customizable, yadda yadda... so much more than the official app :)

However, I tend to jump to the official app for quick lookups if I'm in an area I where haven't downloaded recent data, like on road trips and at rural gas stations and whatnot.

But Geosphere version 3 is in development right now, and should hopefully implement a load of live API features, which will be wonderful. :)

Edited by thebruce0

My 2 cents:

Myself and Skunkfu were out with an iphone 4, a Samsung GalaxyS, and 2 GPS units (Older Etrex and a LegendHcX). Needless to say - We Didn't get lost.

We tend to use the phones for the maps/descriptions/clues, and the units to get there.

We found the batteries on the GPS units lasted.. well forever, compared to the phones when the GPS was switched on.