Caches not cleaned up

Groundspeak's stance on this issue is that the cache is the property of the person who placed it, so they cannot advocate that other cachers remove them.

On the other hand, you are free to remove them as you see fit.

There is a possibility (however small) that the cache(s) are still listed and active on another site, so be sure to check for 'recent' entries in the logs of any cache you do decide needs CITO.

EDITED for speeling.

Edited by AZcachemeister

This is the "How do I...?" section.

Your opinion probably should have gone into the general forums.

Though some caches may be left by an inactive CO, others may be left due to cross-listings on other sites. They may still be active there. The only (real) way to tell is look at the hide's logs or enter the coords on another site.

This is the "How do I...?" section.

Your opinion probably should have gone into the general forums.

Though some caches may be left by an inactive CO, others may be left due to cross-listings on other sites. They may still be active there. The only (real) way to tell is look at the hide's logs or enter the coords on another site.

Just wanted to add that it may be impossible to do because there are some geocaching sites that don't publicly list their caches and membership is by invitation only. Also there used to be a group on Usenet that listed caches there. I don't know active they still are as I haven't read newsgroups in quite a while. I am sure there are other ways to list caches that I am not aware of.

I've also seen an archived traditional cache made in to a stage of a milticache by the owner and it would be a stretch to imagine a traditional archived and then listed as a mystery. Just some more things to think about.