The Old Old Forums

Jamie Z

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

I wouldn't have minded if the forum conversion back in February of 2002 had gone smoothly. Much of the old text was truncated and there were other problems. I've even recently made a few markwells to them on threads that didn't convert well.

And where else can we see the wonderful posts of Dave - now that the Inflammatory Posts of yesteryear are gone?

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

In July of 2002, Elias said:

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

I was hoping to retire the old site after a while as well. If the old forums and the link were useful to people, I can certainly add it back.

Looks like the day of the permanent retirement has come, but I appeal that they were useful and they it be added back.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Of course we all remember just a couple weeks ago when we switched over to the new forums. But who remembers the time we switched from the original forums? I do, and occasionally I used those old forums.

Here's the link:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

It no longer works. icon_frown.gif The Old Old Forums seem to be gone forever.

I miss them.

Jamie

If I've missed something here it won't be the first time but looks to me like most or some of the forums are here dating back to 2002.

Mike

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

Coffee cans tend to rust (as do ammo cans). Best container I've found is a simple tupperware container. Plastic lasts virtually forever and seals and reseals very well.

I've used tupperware and an ammo can for my two caches. Time will tell if they were a good choice.

I'd try hiding the cache. The more remote, the bigger the challenge. And like everyone has been saying, "if you stash it they will come"

icon_wink.gif Jeremy

This one's pretty old. From October 25, 2000 05:39 PM

CN.. that's cool.. but not as useful.

What I'd like is the most recent old old forums, rather than an old, old old forum snapshot.

Reason? A snapshot from 2001 only has some of the messages. An archive of all the message (without truncation as some/most appeared in the new forums) can be useful for markwelling or simply good reading.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

Jamie, go to archive.org and use the wayback machine. Search for the url you entered above in your first post. You should be able to pick a date range from the list. I'm pretty sure you could find some more recent posts.

Archive.org is great, and I use it often, but it's not always complete. Often you only get a snapshot of the first page and maybe 1 link deep. Also it's pretty hard to actually search the posts via the wayback machine.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.