Merge PQ's software

Is there a free software program out there that can merge multiple PQ's and eliminate the duplicate caches?

I know about GSAK but I do not need all the bells and whistles. The above is the only thing I will be doing. So I can not justify paying for it for this one feature. Plus the fact that I did do a merge when under the trial period and loaded it onto the 450 and it could not see that gpx file. I had to delete it, then run it through Basecamp, then load it onto the 450 for it to be seen.

I have an Oregon 450 and I know that it can load multiple PQ's and does only show a single incident of a duplicate cache. But with a 5,000 cache limit even though it does not show the dupes, the dupes would still be on the unit and probably count against the 5,000 limit.

Thank You. Basing an idea on what you described I figured it out.

First I created a new folder then in that folder I created a new file and named it

combinedpqs

Then one by one I copied and pasted the gpx and wpts-gpx files into the new folder and chose the combinedpqs file

Doing it that way it did merge all the files into one gpx file eliminating the duplicate caches.

It was a little time consuming but yes it is possible. Thank You.

Gotta hand it to GSAK, GSAK is much easier and faster doing combining. But still have to load the combined PQ's into Basecamp for some reason for the Oregon 450 to see the result.

So even though GSAK is easier and faster for me atleast it still does not warrent buying it for that one feature.

Thank You again.

There are hundreds of GSAK users that load into an Oregon GPS, myself included. Chances are you were not loading the caches into the Garmin/GPX folder of the GPS. If you don't do that they show up as waypoints and not caches.

There are so many other things that GSAK does that if you started using it you would soon find it irreplaceable.

I load the file into the sd card in the Garmin/GPX folder. It is a no go every time.

But if I open the GSAK created file in basecamp and export it from basecamp into a folder on my PC, then copy from the PC folder onto the sd card Garmin/GPX folder it works flawlessly.

Weird. LOL!

Edited by TeamPennyFinder

I do some queries with mutually exclusive filters that hopefully don't dupe caches and combine them with parking etc.

My combine.bat:

C:\Geocaching\gpsbabel-1.3.6\gpsbabel.exe -x duplicate,shortname -i gpx -f C:\Geocaching\POI\Caches\4721.gpx -f C:\Geocaching\POI\Caches\4721-wpts.gpx -f C:\Geocaching\POI\Caches\699802.gpx -f C:\Geocaching\POI\Caches\699802-wpts.gpx -o gpx -F combined.gpx

Is there a free software program out there that can merge multiple PQ's and eliminate the duplicate caches?

I know about GSAK but I do not need all the bells and whistles. The above is the only thing I will be doing. So I can not justify paying for it for this one feature. Plus the fact that I did do a merge when under the trial period and loaded it onto the 450 and it could not see that gpx file. I had to delete it, then run it through Basecamp, then load it onto the 450 for it to be seen.

I have an Oregon 450 and I know that it can load multiple PQ's and does only show a single incident of a duplicate cache. But with a 5,000 cache limit even though it does not show the dupes, the dupes would still be on the unit and probably count against the 5,000 limit.

EasyGPS will merge GPX files. After you load the first one go to the file menu and you will see "merge files"

I also have a 450 and routinely load 5 PQ that each contain 900-1000 caches onto it. I am certain that there is some overlap. So I think the 5000 limit doesn't include dupes. Just my thought

On the Montana duplicates are counted if you've got them in multiple files. I exported two overlapping files from my own software and broke the waypoint limit.

What you've said about the Oregon doesn't really prove anything - 5 PQs with 900-1000 caches per file means 4500-5000 caches in total. If you had five copies of the same file you'd have no more than 5000 caches in total, and if you had no overlap at all you'd have no more than 5000.