What are the odds for finding this one?

Shirley and I are starting to plan our April vacation, so we have been looking at some interesting benchmarks that we might want to try and find. Some are set vertically, some are chiseled squares in stone post, some are marks that others could not find.

We have 1 benchmark that we wonder what will our chances for success really be. It has a not found on GC.com and a found recovery in 1971 on the current datasheet.

Here is the reason for the question of odds for finding. It is listed as being in Churchill County NV (near Reno) HO0678 near the top of the datasheet. The GC.com page list it as being in Lincoln County, NV (near Caliente, NV). Now, take a close look at the description and it appears to be in Iron County, UT.

3 different locations and we will only have a week for vacation. What are the odds of actually finding this one?

John

John,

You will find it. DSWORLD pegs it on GE right in name sequence, the PID is for that area and the USGS Quad is correct.

I spent two delightful days last week working on the 1908 PLN run starting with A 8. A nice target rich valley. With dryer roads and your 4WD you might be able to get to some that I had to bypass.

A resident of the property next to the old weather office told me that the RR is a bit cranky in that area. Turned in a deputy sheriff for being on the ROW - and he was out there to investigate one of their complaints!

If you have time you might pull up the description from Special Pub # 18 for E 8 and F 8 which have NONPUB PID's.

Thought about picking up a few of your "wrong county corrections" from last fall, but the road was closed for the winter NNW of 109 DOR.

Enjoy, MEL

I have submitted county corrections for both marks to the NGS database. They should be posted within a couple of weeks. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Great, you are welcome and thanks Dave. We had a great time on our vacation and checking on those misplaced marks added a bit more fun for us.

If we spot any more 'odd man out of place' marks, we will go and investigate them and let you know. I thought we had found another one as we were heading south on 93 towards the end of Lincoln County. Hayford was listed on our old capture we did of Lincoln County and it stood out like a sore thumb. But, John said "No way! I am not going to hike 9 or 10 miles uphill to that mark and I don't have a horse!" but, now we just looked and it has already been corrected! Wow, we both are grateful for that.... :laughing:

Shirley~