HAS ANYONE USED A GAMIN NUVI 1370

GOOBR

THIS WILL BE MY FIRST CACHE AND WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS USED THIS GPS? IT HAS THE OPTIONS TO USE VEHICLE, BICYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN MODES.:huh:

I used my Nuvi 1250 in a park, once. In pedestrian mode, it still routed me on the nearest street around the park before cutting straight through fences, bushes, etc. So I instead walked around watching the coordinates count down. That was kind of tedious. Many people have no trouble with that, and some car GPSrs have better cache support. But I definitely don't need a way to make my caching ability even worse.

But I still use my Nuvi to get to a close parking spot. My current one is a 1450, and it's as easy to load a cache directly from the site as it is with a handheld. But the most I've loaded at once was two caches (a handheld may hold 2500 caches with cache titles and text, but the car kind might struggle with that many).

Edited by kunarion

But the most I've loaded at once was two caches (a handheld may hold 2500 caches with cache titles and text, but the car kind might struggle with that many).

This depends on whether the caches are loaded as waypoints or as POIs. I use the jjreds GSAK macro, and Garmin's POI loader, and my Nuvi 255 easily handles 5,000 caches and the searches don't really get slow until I am up around 12,000 caches loaded as POIs.

I used our Nuvi 1350 to find my first few caches and it did OK. It has a pedestrian mode but still had a car for an icon. As I got closer to caches it showed the car closer and closer. It wasn't a bad way to start and it got me hooked fast enough that I had a handheld pretty soon. My 8 year old called the new one a "cheater GPS."

I used our Nuvi 1350 to find my first few caches and it did OK. It has a pedestrian mode but still had a car for an icon. As I got closer to caches it showed the car closer and closer. It wasn't a bad way to start and it got me hooked fast enough that I had a handheld pretty soon. My 8 year old called the new one a "cheater GPS."

Yeah, well give the little smart aleck a topographic map and a ruler. :laughing:

So it showed the car icon "closer and closer". There's still no classic compass navigation screen, even in pedestrian mode, I take it?

No, there wasn't anything like that, car GPS units are just not designed for geocaching. It was hard to tell when you were really close, you could just tell that you were pretty close. I found 4 caches with it in two weekends and knew I would enjoy the hobby so I quickly got something more suitable.

No, there wasn't anything like that, car GPS units are just not designed for geocaching. It was hard to tell when you were really close, you could just tell that you were pretty close. I found 4 caches with it in two weekends and knew I would enjoy the hobby so I quickly got something more suitable.

Yeah, I found one with a Tom-Tom once. While I was on the way to pick up my GPS at a cache I was sure I left it at (and I did). :lol: Not so much as 3 or 4 years ago, but there are a lot of people using car GPS's to find caches. I know one who has for about 3 years, and has about 500 finds and 6 or 7 placed.