Can only view nearby now?

Yesterday I went out on a bike ride to cache and c:geo reported it could only show my nearby caches and not live view anymore. So I just downloaded Neongeo and it appears to operate the same way.

I tried using the geocaching.com site map interface on my iPad and phone browser, but can't touch any of the caches via that interface.

So, now there's no way to see caches on the map that aren't around you without a computer? That seems like kind of a bad idea. Or am I missing something?

If I'm out and about and want to see what caches are on the highway up ahead, how can I do that now?

Thanks for any insights.

The map changes made recently (which are discussed, at length, all over this board) killed c:geo's Live Map functionality. If you use Nearby and then switch to the map, it'll show the caches that appeared on the Nearby list.

The official answer is Groundspeak wants you to buy their app to use such features.

Currently Neongeo searches for nearby caches every 5 minutes. So there is not a way to see what is immediately up ahead unless it happens to be at the same time as the 5 minute update.

Alternatively, if you know where you are heading, you can just scroll the map to that area and hit the "blue cube" to import the caches nearest to that point.

There is a lot of info in the Neongeo's Wiki and feel free to ask questions on its forum as it is pretty active.

ETA: There has been some discussion about making the update time in Neongeo user configurable, although there are some concerns if everyone were to make it too quick and hammer the servers ... this is TBD still.

Edited by TheBlizzles
The official answer is Groundspeak wants you to buy their app to use such features.
I must have missed that official announcement.
Please. Groundspeak's feelings toward c:geo are well-known around here.
There's a difference between not wanting people to use apps like c:geo that violate the TOU by scraping the site, and wanting people to use only Groundspeak's Geocaching app. AFAICS, Groundspeak is perfectly happy with people using third-party apps that comply with their TOU (e.g., GSAK, Neongeo, GeoBeagle).

I think to put it more correctly they want them to use the API. C:Go prefers to scrape the site in violation of the terms of the TOS and provide access to the site that strains its resources and provides no revenue and in fact undermines one of the sites most important source of revenue,

I thought the new version was adherent to the open API.

I must have missed that official announcement.
Please. Groundspeak's feelings toward c:geo are well-known around here.
There's a difference between not wanting people to use apps like c:geo that violate the TOU by scraping the site, and wanting people to use only Groundspeak's Geocaching app. AFAICS, Groundspeak is perfectly happy with people using third-party apps that comply with their TOU (e.g., GSAK, Neongeo, GeoBeagle).

And, the GS app doesn't have a live map anyway.

OR, if I want to use my phone, I have to buy their app, wich I can't, because I have no credit card and it doesn't have a map view anyway.
For the record, Groundspeak's Geocaching app does have a map view. It doesn't have "live maps" or automatic downloads of cache data as you move, but you can use the map to download more cache data manually, either at your current location or at whatever other location the map is centered on.

geocaching does seem to have it's share of profit mongers like all hobbies I've come across. Trackables would be more popular if they weren't $8-10 each for something that probably costs a dime to make. I just do pocket queries with my premium account and load the caches in the GPS that way. Same thing with using my own downloaded maps. The idea of over and over consuming bandwidth just to download map images that can be stored on a memory card and loaded without using data seems a bit silly to me.

Be happy you get as much as you do from geocaching.com without having to pay, I say. I have no idea how much money they make, they are not a public company.. but they do have the monopoly on geocaching at the moment and basically get free advertising when we link to their site on our caches.

Edited by sholomar

Well, I don't know about all the "militant" attitude toward other programs, but as for c:geo, it simply works more like your GPS does now. Get a nice big memory card for your phone, and load a pocket query onto it. Once you import the caches from the GPX file, they all show up on the map. It works for me.

Yesterday I went out on a bike ride to cache and c:geo reported it could only show my nearby caches and not live view anymore. So I just downloaded Neongeo and it appears to operate the same way.

I tried using the geocaching.com site map interface on my iPad and phone browser, but can't touch any of the caches via that interface.

So, now there's no way to see caches on the map that aren't around you without a computer? That seems like kind of a bad idea. Or am I missing something?

If I'm out and about and want to see what caches are on the highway up ahead, how can I do that now?

Thanks for any insights.

Buy a back-up etrex?