Limit for description’s data size

wolfpack42

For geocaching I use my iPhone. When I want to see description of a cache outdoor I have to download all the graphics of the description, which, in case of, say

GC3C787 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC3C787, makes up an enormous volume of 1.5 MB (majority of this is made by only one picture). I (and I believe many of cachers using their phones for geocaching) will welcome much smaller descriptions.

No no no PLEASE no!!

I understand why and I agree that one cache is a bit overdone. The information could have been prestened in a better way.

Putting a limit on the information you can put on a cache page would like saying you can't hide overly camo'ed caches.

There should not be a top or bottom limit on what you can put on there, anymore than there should be a restriction on LPCs of 5/5 cachees.

Just because every cache doesn't work the way you want it to does not mean we need more rules to limit us all.

No no no PLEASE no!!

I understand why and I agree that one cache is a bit overdone. The information could have been prestened in a better way.

Putting a limit on the information you can put on a cache page would like saying you can't hide overly camo'ed caches.

There should not be a top or bottom limit on what you can put on there, anymore than there should be a restriction on LPCs of 5/5 cachees.

Just because every cache doesn't work the way you want it to does not mean we need more rules to limit us all.

Amen

Rather than hobbling everyone wouldn't it be better to for the OP make a suggestion to their iPhone developers to have a facility to limit downloads?

Actually, I've just had a closer look at that particular earthcache and it appears that the majority of the text in the cache is in a graphic file. That's just bad HTML coding and in my opinion the reviewer shouldn't have allowed it.

Edited by Huntleigh

or, if the limit existed, then the geocache owner would know that something was wrong with the html...

I have the opinion that such limit should exist! It's just stupid to have PQs occupying several MBs just because some huge descriptions like these! Limiting to around 0.5 MB would be more than enough for a cache description!

because even for a desktop user, it makes no sense to download a 2MB cache description. In the limit, imagine a Pocket query with 1000 caches with just 1MB cache description, excluding logs and all other info... Do you know how big it would be? 1GB!!! Does this make any sense? I am a desktop user, using gsak, and I think that cache description data size should be limited!

Actually, I've just had a closer look at that particular earthcache and it appears that the majority of the text in the cache is in a graphic file. That's just bad HTML coding and in my opinion the reviewer shouldn't have allowed it.

Please point me to the section of the listing guidelines that empowers reviewers to say "no" to bad HTML. I'd love to start using it. Maybe it's in the same paragraph that bans empty cache descriptions and poor spelling.

because even for a desktop user, it makes no sense to download a 2MB cache description. In the limit, imagine a Pocket query with 1000 caches with just 1MB cache description, excluding logs and all other info... Do you know how big it would be? 1GB!!! Does this make any sense? I am a desktop user, using gsak, and I think that cache description data size should be limited!

The cache in question used a graphic file which would not appear in a PQ. So no issue.

There is already a limit to the number of characters in the text.

There is already a limit to the number of characters in the text.

what's that limit? I can't seem to find anything about it, and tried with a 5 million characters description and it saved it! I hope it's not the 2GB limit imposed by the text type in SQL (1GB now that it is Unicode) or 2048GB if the new varchar(max) type is in use...

so how about this cache: http://coord.info/GC38V5Z ???

doesn't it have a problem in the description? Imagine 1000 like that and figure out the size of the PQ!

What's the problem with that one? It has 135 kB of images (which aren't an issue as previously mentioned), and only 200 bytes of text. 1000 of these in a PQ wouldn't be very big at all. I'm sure the average size of descriptions is far larger than this one.

1.8 MB for me...

Hmm, you're right. According to this topic, any HTML should be stripped out when you receive the cache through a PQ or the "GPX file" button, but not when you use the "Send to My GPS". In this case, the HTML seems to be mal-formed, so the site isn't recognizing it to strip out. This cache is an exception, though. It shouldn't be a problem for most caches unless they have mal-formed HTML.

Hmm... I was under the impression that there already is a limit to the maximum size of a cache's description, but I couldn't find a reference. Was I mistaken?

Acoording to this thread the limit has been removed and unlimited length cache descriptions are a feature.

Which is silly, as it breaks things like paperless caching, smartphone caching etc.