Absolute cheapest GPS unit

MrOneEyedBoh

I know guys, its another find me a gps thread. But what I want is the cheapest paperless unit. But if you think about it, I can just use a high sensitivity unit just to get me there. Then I can use my cell as the paperless part. So whats the cheapest paperless unit and what is the cheapest basic unit. I dont have to see the maps, just the hey Im there mark and also how to get back to my car.

As good as any GPS does. We find it is finicky in the midst of tall buildings. The way around both of these issues is to get a good lock when you are out in the open - after that it seems to be more congenial in adverse conditions.

And you just never know if you are going to have a good satellite day or a not-so-good one. We've been out on beautiful clear days and had a heck of a time connecting.

I also just came across the MAGELLAN EXPLORIST GC. I can get a new one for 110 shipped.

A GC for $110 shipped? I'd take it. Retails for $150. There's a new, even cheaper model, The Exporist 110 which is also paperless capable. It actually retails for more than what you're paying for the GC, at $130. If that supplier has the 110, I'll bet you could get it for under $100.

for the tech savvy, a used android phone such as a droid 2 would be better for the price you'd pay than a GPS unit of the same price, mainly because you can have a full featured paperless GPS with a large screen with the right software, and good android phones also have compass and mine gets as close as the better GPS units from what I've read here.

I paid 70 bucks at cowboom, which I don't think there's a decent GPS at that price point. I don't believe there's any droid 2's in stock there now though. You'd have to know how to root the phone, and knowledge installing software. Again, for the tech savvy.

I didn't buy it for that, I bought it to have a cheap, good phone to use with page plus, it was only after I got the phone in the mail that I discovered what geocaching was. I wish I'd have wrote down the exact thing I searched for that lead me to it's discovery.. I don't remember.

Installed large openstreet map files to the memory card and did pocket queries and stored them to the card so it's all offline. Don't want to use data unless it's wifi networks. Droidwall prevents any data leakage on 3G.

Edited by sholomar

yeah my android has been rooted since 2008 haha. Its not that bad to do, but none the less I found mine to NOT be that accurate. Ive been in Xda for around 10 years and know all about android in and out. I even update the GPS drivers to make the a bit better, but still loose coverage under trees. The phones were meant to be used like this, while they are good yes, but the Explorist GC has pretty much shown me ( review wise ) that its not bad at all. And the Explorist is paperless, loads geocache.com by itself ( from what it looks like ). So its a good candidate.

yeah my android has been rooted since 2008 haha. Its not that bad to do, but none the less I found mine to NOT be that accurate. Ive been in Xda for around 10 years and know all about android in and out. I even update the GPS drivers to make the a bit better, but still loose coverage under trees. The phones were meant to be used like this, while they are good yes, but the Explorist GC has pretty much shown me ( review wise ) that its not bad at all. And the Explorist is paperless, loads geocache.com by itself ( from what it looks like ). So its a good candidate.

Yeah, I'd never recommend a smartphone over a waterproof, shock resistant GPS unit with 20X the battery life. That's not a bad little unit. Sort of a beginners GPS for someone like me, but Mrs. Yuck got me one for Christmas, and I wasn't about to be rude. I'll roll with it as my primary for at least a year or two. I think you'll like it.