Printing Maps

stoker331

So I am having problems printing the maps now that they changed the maps from google. Before we head out to an area I like to print a map off so I have a general idea where I am going. I have read a few of the other threads bashing the new maps and have not heard anyone else saying they could not print them, so is this an issue with the new map program or a computer issue on my end? When I click the print preview all I get is a blank page, no matter what zoom level it is at.

Please do not reply if you plan to just bash the new maps, I understand why they changed, and agree with them, I am sure if they had a better option they would have done it, and the new ones seem fine to me.

So I am having problems printing the maps now that they changed the maps from google. Before we head out to an area I like to print a map off so I have a general idea where I am going. I have read a few of the other threads bashing the new maps and have not heard anyone else saying they could not print them, so is this an issue with the new map program or a computer issue on my end? When I click the print preview all I get is a blank page, no matter what zoom level it is at.

Please do not reply if you plan to just bash the new maps, I understand why they changed, and agree with them, I am sure if they had a better option they would have done it, and the new ones seem fine to me.

I can print both Open Street map and MapQuest, using Google chrome (I use the CTRL-P shortcut). But I noticed that what is printed isn't exactly what's on screen. The print preview includes the part of the map that is obscured by the side panel. It also doesn't extend all the way, so depending on screen resolution and paper settings, I can get up to about three quarters of the displayed map to print.

I raised this problem yesterday but had no replies. All I get is a blank page however I try to print/copy/cut&paste. I like to print out the map especially for an unknown area so that I know how to get there and can plan my route of geocaches.

Print preview also shows a blank page as does landscape view.

Edited by theladyhazel

I'm also getting a blank page when trying to print with the new maps, even after changing the compatibilty view. Has anyone figured this out?

let me guess you're using IE?

try a different browser, i can print them just fine from FF following the printer friendly link from the cache page

try a different browser, i can print them just fine from FF following the printer friendly link from the cache page

What is WRONG with useing IE I would guess about 50% use it so why shouldn't GC gome up with something that will work with IE. Why should I change browser, why should I upgrade Windows, I didn't break it GC did it all??????????????????????

What is WRONG with useing IE I would guess about 50% use it so why shouldn't GC gome up with something that will work with IE. Why should I change browser, why should I upgrade Windows, I didn't break it GC did it all??????????????????????

You don't have to guess. According to w3schools IE as of Feb has a 20.1% browser share while Firefox has a 37.1% browser share. IE has been dropping in popularity while Firefox has been gaining over the years but it looks like Chrome is going to outpace both very shortly here.

I also know from personal experience in having programed websites that IE can be very difficult to design webpages for and it have to work correctly for every version. IE doesn't always follow the W3C standards and stuff that works in one version doesn't necessarily work the same way or at all in other versions.

when you calm down please show me where i said to change it...i said TRY...big difference

and no, IE is not the browser of choice for that many people, tbh unless you're forced to use it by policies at work, anyone at home has no excuse for using that snail browser

updating windows? i haven't said that either but regardless you NEED to apply the updates to windows for your own good/safety and for having a computer that works properly

GC didn't break anything, they replaced one map with another...not as pretty as google but that's a different subject

the problem is in your own "backyard"....works just fine for many and everyone else except for the couple of people that posted in this thread...i say that's a pretty good indication the problem lies in your PC and settings

and for the love of God stop breaking the quote tags

First I don't think that God cares if I break quote tags or not. I was going back in time every time GC does some thing with the maps a lot people uses IE have trouble printing. I ask for help and all I get is go to windows 7 or change from IE or use GSAK but nobody wants to give me any money to pay for this stuff.

First I don't think that God cares if I break quote tags or not. I was going back in time every time GC does some thing with the maps a lot people uses IE have trouble printing. I ask for help and all I get is go to windows 7 or change from IE or use GSAK but nobody wants to give me any money to pay for this stuff.

Firefox is free; as is Greasemonkey; as are the Greasemonkey geocaching scripts that will enable you to not only print maps but print Google maps.

You asked for help and people offered it. You din't qualify it had to be free.

For what it is worth, GSAK is well worth the money.