Does using the API to fetch PQs show up in PM audit logs

baloo&bd

I am using GSAK's "Download Pocket queries..." function, which uses the API to download my pocket queries. Doe this show in MoC audit logs or do I need to go back to manually downloading them to avoid the log?

I can't say with certainty, since I haven't tested it, but I wouldn't think that anything other than an actual cache page access would generate an entry in the audit log. And I'm almost positive that the API doesn't work by simply accessing cache pages, that would be remarkably wasteful.

For one of the caches I own, I briefly made it a premium-only cache. If inclusion in pocket queries had added entries to that log, it would have been thousands of lines longer than it was. Of course, that was a long time ago and before the advent of the API, but I just can't imagine that this sort of database access would appear in audit logs.

Then again, I don't personally care one way or the other whether my accesses show up in audit logs.

--Larry

You can use my cache GC2BA4D for testing purposes if you wish. Just remember not to load it up in your browser if you want to :P

Just got home from work and DL'd the test PQ into GSAK. Let me know if my view shows up in your audit log. thanks.

Nothing as of right now...

No activity on my listing from any of you.

As a secondary test, just viewed the last one you gave me with a smartphone app, something else some have said won't show.

You did show up on my audit log. Very likely you view the cache page, if not, let me know.

Depending on how you've set up the app (I'm referring to the "Identify c:geo as an ordinary webbrowser" setting, which is checked by default), accesses via c:geo WILL show up in the audit log. Just now, I called up a cache in c:geo and it immediately showed up in the new "Recently Viewed Caches" list on the profile page. Assuming that cache page access is what triggers an entry in the audit log.... I'll leave formal testing to those more interested in the results.

--Larry

As a secondary test, just viewed the last one you gave me with a smartphone app, something else some have said won't show.

You did show up on my audit log. Very likely you view the cache page, if not, let me know.

Depending on how you've set up the app (I'm referring to the "Identify c:geo as an ordinary webbrowser" setting, which is checked by default), accesses via c:geo WILL show up in the audit log. Just now, I called up a cache in c:geo and it immediately showed up in the new "Recently Viewed Caches" list on the profile page. Assuming that cache page access is what triggers an entry in the audit log.... I'll leave formal testing to those more interested in the results.

--Larry

In the case of c:geo, I'd wager that it shows up in the audit log even with that option disabled.

--Larry

In the case of c:geo, I'd wager that it shows up in the audit log even with that option disabled.

I'm thinking you'd win that bet. I changed that setting and tried again. Accessing a cache with "Identify c:geo as an ordinary webbrowser" unchecked still caused the cache to appear in the "Recently Viewed Caches" list.

Accessing caches using Neongeo and CacheSense did not trigger an entry in that list.

--Larry

I only gave GC2BA4D - nothing there still.

I just looked up GC2BA4D using c:geo (with that option checked). Does it show up in your audit log?

--Larry

Edit to add: Silly me, I also accessed the cache via my PC's Web browser, a few minutes later. You might now see two audit log entries from me.

Edited by larryc43230

I just looked up GC2BA4D using c:geo (with that option checked). Does it show up in your audit log?

--Larry

Edit to add: Silly me, I also accessed the cache via my PC's Web browser, a few minutes later. You might now see two audit log entries from me.

:D

Actually shows 3 visits from you.

--Larry

:D

Actually shows 3 visits from you.

:laughing:

At least one of which had to have been from c:geo.

--Larry

This is a cool experiment and I have been watching just in case you found something... the I realized how many people run PQ's and download them through an app like GSAK. I realized that if this did happen, then a MO cache would have thousands of 'recent views' in the history.

If C:GEO uses port 80 or something similar to access the cache page as a simulated browser (and getting info more recent than the PQ), that would trigger the audit. That is interesting and good to know.

Just did this one via the offcial gc app.

Still nothing...

I tried navigating using Navigator and radar (gps status) to this cache in the GPS app. Having not heard anything, it appears as far as this goes, PQ's and API enabled apps are the way to go to get around the audit log. Of course, if they simply did away with this useless "feature", life would be easier but until then, this appears to be the workaround.