Has iPhone 4s better GPS than iPhone 4? (Or HTC Hero?)

I'm currently using a HTC Hero as my GPS wich mostly works really well, usually as close as 1 meter. Now I need to upgrade (this one is getting old and unreliable in other ways) and am considering an iPhone 4s. A friend of mine has an older iPhone (I think an iPhone 4) and says it's GPS differs about 5 meters. How well does the iPhone 4s GPS work? Buying a proper GPS is out of the question right now. I am grateful for any input.

I have not seen any direct iPhone 4 versus 4s GPS comparisons. I do think Apple has changed the chipset in the 4s though, because the newer models are (quietly) advertised as supporting GLONASS as well as GPS signals. But this may not make a different in accuracy/stability .

Still, If I was going to buy an iPhone today I would be getting the 4S anyhow, just because it's the latest model and is faster/better in a number of respects. Don't know that GPS would be a deciding factor for me as much as the price difference -- and as I said, the contract cost over time far outweighs the initial purchase price.

Just stuff to think about -- hope that doesn't muddle things up for you!

---

Edit to add...I just looked at your GC.com profile and realized where you are. My original comments were on pricing were USA-based and probably irrelevant to your part of the world.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

Edit to add...I just looked at your GC.com profile and realized where you are. My original comments were on pricing were USA-based and probably irrelevant to your part of the world.

Was your first clue that he used meters? He should ask Lisbeth Salander. The accuracy of cell phone GPS's seems to be random according to where they put the antenna and how noisy the phone is. I was unlucky to get a Samsung model that is notoriously bad(ATT Captivate). It picks up noise from the display I guess. Edited by John E Cache

Sorry for not answering earlier. LOL ms Salander would probably have good answers :-) I do agree that "the contract cost over time far outweighs the initial purchase price". I am leaning strongly towards the 4s but am still worrying a bit about GPS accuracy (I have no funds for a separate GPS right now). I have considering a Samsung too, the latest Galaxy to be more precise. Which one do you have? BTW I'm a she not a he.

Was your first clue that he used meters?
No, I looked at the user profile to see where recent cache finds were. Sometimes knowing locations or what kinds of caches they hunt is helpful in giving someone advice. Urban versus wilderness for example, could make a big difference if someone can get by with a smartphone or if they need a dedicated GPS.

The accuracy of cell phone GPS's seems to be random according to where they put the antenna and how noisy the phone is.

Good point. Unfortunately, since GPS accuracy and reception isn't as important among most smartphone users as it is to the geocachers, it's hard to find any good reviews on that detail. Maybe iFixit or another teardown website can show you things like chipset and where the antenna is on your preferred model?

I have an iphone 4 and started caching with it.

I wouldn't base your decision on the GPS capability alone. Buy the phone for the main reason for buying it ...as a smartphone and the cost/budget you're able to afford.

If you're looking to stay on the inexpensive...I'd go with the iphone 4 and save yourself $$$. You'll be happy with either phone. I'm not sure the new GPS capabilities in the 4S will be all that different (noticable) for the cost.

Good Luck!

Edited by Lieblweb

I haven't compared the 4 GPS with the 4S myself, but I have a friend who has the 4, and from my experience the 4S does have better GPS capabilities, if only because it is faster due to the chipset.

I also recommend going with the 4S (if you're upgrading your smartphone, the 4S with a contract should be a worthwhile deal as I don't see the 4S becoming truly obsolete in the next 2-3 years). The GPS is good for most any environment. I'd point you to other "GPSr vs smartphone" debate threads, but those are messy :P.

Since it's about your question about 4 or 4S - I recommend going with the 4S, if you can find a solid mobile contract to reduce the initial purchase cost. Definitely worth having.