Etrex 30 and white screening

I recently upgraded to a Garmin etrex 30 unit and have been enjoying using it but I keep getting issues with it freezing and giving me a white screen which is getting very frustrating. The first time it happened I traced the problem back to having tried to transfer too many caches to the device by accident. When I tried to view the hint or recent log info from the trip computer screen it would give me a white screen and freeze and the only way to reboot is to remove the batteries and power up again.

However, recently I have had the same issue happen randomly. Are other people finding this problem? How are you resolving it? It's infuriating at the moment as it will appear to be working properly and be stable when all of a sudden it will crash. The other aspects of the device seem to work OK once it's powered up again, but I am unable to retrieve any of the paperless geocaching features and the compass also loses the needle making it hard to navigate accurately (the distance to destination still works).

Apols if this has been discussed elsewhere, a quick search didn't reveal anything.

Cheers :)

Becka/beetlebug54

If it happens when viewing cache details etc then I'd say it's a dodgy GPX file.

Might be worth deleting all the GPX files and doing a rest of the unit...if not it might just be faulty :(

Thanks. It's happening randomly with all sorts of GPX files tho, all created with pocket queries for a different area etc. I always clear off unused cache info as I move about so much and it can only hold 2000 caches so it's easier to delete all previous caches and upload the new ones each time. I've logged a support issue with Garmin and am waiting for them to respond. It does sound like it's faulty.

If it happens when viewing cache details etc then I'd say it's a dodgy GPX file.

Might be worth deleting all the GPX files and doing a rest of the unit...if not it might just be faulty :(

Thanks. It's happening randomly with all sorts of GPX files tho, all created with pocket queries for a different area etc. I always clear off unused cache info as I move about so much and it can only hold 2000 caches so it's easier to delete all previous caches and upload the new ones each time. I've logged a support issue with Garmin and am waiting for them to respond. It does sound like it's faulty.

I'm not sure how you mean delete. The surest way to delete is to connect to a PC and delete all the files in the \Garmin\GPX folder or do a master reset. https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={d10af480-1fc5-11e1-73d0-000000000000}

Edited by seldom_sn

I'm not sure how you mean delete. The surest way to delete is to connect to a PC and delete all the files in the \Garmin\GPX folder or do a master reset https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={d10af480-1fc5-11e1-73d0-000000000000}.

Yep. That's what I do. Altho with a mac ;-)

I'm not sure how you mean delete. The surest way to delete is to connect to a PC and delete all the files in the \Garmin\GPX folder or do a master reset https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={d10af480-1fc5-11e1-73d0-000000000000}.

There have been instances of Garmin products that don't respond well to MAC dust (various files that MACs leave in file systems). Perhaps that is related to your white screen troubles.

There have been instances of Garmin products that don't respond well to MAC dust (various files that MACs leave in file systems). Perhaps that is related to your white screen troubles.

Well I use both, but a mac mainly. I've also been using base camp as the main tool in the hope that a garmin specific product would work better but maybe not... Will see what garmin say anyways. Thanks for the replies and help :D

.... and it can only hold 2000 caches ....

I thought that, but pretty sure someone here demonstrated that it can actually hold 5000 caches without noticeable lag. The 2k limit mentioned in the manual is waypoints, we all just assumed that included caches

But when I have tried to load more than 2000 caches it crashes :( and white screens.. I had bought an extra external micro sd card in the hope of bypassing this but that doesn't work either. Sigh :huh:

.... and it can only hold 2000 caches ....

I thought that, but pretty sure someone here demonstrated that it can actually hold 5000 caches without noticeable lag. The 2k limit mentioned in the manual is waypoints, we all just assumed that included caches

I documented my how I tested that my eTrex 20 will hold exactly 5000 geocaches in the recent forum post http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=288825&st=0&p=4952417&fromsearch=1entry4952417

The only items I should have added is that the testing was done with the US OSM maps loaded and active and the installed firmware is 2.50.