Is there something wrong with my GPS unit?

xclusivesinger

quote:
Originally posted by xclusivesinger:

Ok me and my bro went searching for a bunch of caches and every time we go searchign our GPS takes us to peoples houses. The ones this happened on were: The New Brunswick Canal, The RT 1 bridge, Trollsbane. Can someone help me out a lil. Thanks

Well, first, start with some easier caches!

Now, make sure you are entering the coordinates right (if you are doing them by hand).

Next, double check the datum setting on your GPS. I should be set to WGS84. If its set to NAD27, you'll be a few hundred feet off. If that doesnt help, or your not sure how to check, let us know what GPS you're using.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

i am xclusive's brother, we were going crazy yesterday trying to find those! i reconfigured my gps to the setting you said and all the WP's i had saved changed by 500 ft. or more. hopefully that was the only problem, tomorrow we'll get em! thanks a lot for the help, i got the store display so it must've been a little whacked out.

Great! Now you'll be able get those co-ordinates a bit closer for tha cache you placed. icon_biggrin.gif

I still stand by my suggestion to find some first. It's really hard to know what makes a good cache if you've never seen one before.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Depending on the unit, some have a "lock to road" feature, which assumes that you're always on the roads as the GPS's maps display them. Some of my road maps are a good 100-150 feet off from where my track is when I'm on the road. icon_eek.gif

So if this feature were turned on, even if you were in the middle of the forest, the GPS would say you were on the road nearby, and thus that you were a considerable distance from the cache - even if you were standing right on top of it. icon_frown.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching