Field Notes

Thik Hai

On uploading my recent Field Notes this morning I noticed that also a load of previously uploaded Field Notes were copied again (duplicated). On a closer look I saw that by default Field Notes made before 01/01/0001 will be ignored. And that seems a bit odd to me. The text a refer to reads:

"By default, the site will not upload Field Notes contained in your file before 01/01/0001 01:00:00 to reduce accidental duplicate logs. Uncheck the option below to include all Field Notes."

Am I doing something wrong all in a sudden?

Regards

TH

On uploading my recent Field Notes this morning I noticed that also a load of previously uploaded Field Notes were copied again (duplicated). On a closer look I saw that by default Field Notes made before 01/01/0001 will be ignored. And that seems a bit odd to me. The text a refer to reads:

"By default, the site will not upload Field Notes contained in your file before 01/01/0001 01:00:00 to reduce accidental duplicate logs. Uncheck the option below to include all Field Notes."

Am I doing something wrong all in a sudden?

Regards

TH

Has it updated to the correct date after you uploaded your field notes, or is this what it showed both before and after?

Thank you for your advise (or is it advice?), but it is not an answer to solve this odd beviour. For over a year this date and time stamp always changed according to my last updates. Then from one day to another this date is fixed to the year one.

Howver, when I login as another user (with permission ofcourse) the upload procedure works as I was used to it in the past viz.: By default, the site will not upload Field Notes contained in your file before 01/09/2012 16:14:00 to reduce accidental duplicate logs. Uncheck the option below to include all Field Notes.

The last find of this geocacher was indeed 01/09/2012 etc. But when I go back to my own account this date is still set to 01/01/0001!

I believe I have to report this as a bug, dont you think so?

TH

Thank you for your advise (or is it advice?), but it is not an answer to solve this odd beviour. For over a year this date and time stamp always changed according to my last updates. Then from one day to another this date is fixed to the year one.

Howver, when I login as another user (with permission ofcourse) the upload procedure works as I was used to it in the past viz.: By default, the site will not upload Field Notes contained in your file before 01/09/2012 16:14:00 to reduce accidental duplicate logs. Uncheck the option below to include all Field Notes.

The last find of this geocacher was indeed 01/09/2012 etc. But when I go back to my own account this date is still set to 01/01/0001!

I believe I have to report this as a bug, dont you think so?

TH

Send an email to contact@geocaching.com. They may be able to go into your account and manually fix it.

I'm having the same issue as Thik Hai. I think it started happening right after the last site update to gc.com. When I log into my profile and upload my field notes, I don't even have the checkbox available to ignore field notes older than my last upload. However, when we log into my wife's account (same computer, same browser, don't even restart the browser, just log out/log in), try to upload the same field note from the same GPSr, the checkbox appears on the page and will ignore all field notes prior to the last upload date.

NOTE: 2 accounts uploading the same Field Notes. Yes, we find lots of caches together, and I find it easier to upload from just one of the GPSrs because the data is identical at times. Other times, we cache on our own, and we pay particular attention to only log caches found by one or the other on the correct account.

Delete all web browser cookies from Groundspeak?

That may be how the site knows when you last logged in to do field notes... :unsure:

No dice. Deleted all of Chrome's cookies, history, downloaded files, cache, etc since the beginning of time. Same issue. I logged in as myself, didn't have the checkbox on Upload Field Notes. I logged out, logged in as the wife, and she did have the checkbox.

So, I tried Internet Explorer. I have only used that browser once on this computer--when I used it to download Chrome. So, I logged in as myself, no check box. Logged out, logged in as the wife, checkbox.

Then, I tried a different computer. Internet Explorer. Same deal.

I think gc.com remembers when you last uploaded your field notes, not by referencing a cookie on the individual computer. The "Ignore logs before" date on the wife's account was the same on both computers. I'm pretty sure I've never uploaded my field notes from her computer before.

I don't even have the checkbox available to ignore field notes older than my last upload.

About half the time, I don't either. Proceeding to upload a Field Notes file just imports ALL of the logs. Which, for me, is exactly what I want, since I delete the FN file from my GPS after uploading it. That way I'm always working from a clean slate, and the checkbox is irrelevant.

I'm having the same issue as Thik Hai. I think it started happening right after the last site update to gc.com. When I log into my profile and upload my field notes, I don't even have the checkbox available to ignore field notes older than my last upload.

You are correct. This Field Note date issue started right after the latest web-update.

Howver, when I login as another user (with permission ofcourse) the upload procedure works

Thik Hai,

I see that you're a Premium Member. Out of curiosity, did the other account that you tried belong to a standard member?

No also a Premium Member!

Edited by Thik Hai

If you clear all of your field notes (as opposed to bulk deleting or composing logs off of them), the notes are deleted from the database rather than archived. As a result, the system has no previous date to reference and displays 01/01/0001 (essentially a null value).

The issue is corrected as soon as you upload a new set of notes and the database has a new date to work with.

The issue is corrected as soon as you upload a new set of notes and the database has a new date to work with.

I have uploaded new Field Notes as advised and now the date and time stamp is correctly set to "Ignore logs before 01/24/2012 15:41:00"

So problem is solved now.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Kind regards,

Cor

Edited by Thik Hai

If you clear all of your field notes (as opposed to bulk deleting or composing logs off of them), the notes are deleted from the database rather than archived. As a result, the system has no previous date to reference and displays 01/01/0001 (essentially a null value).

Issue resolved. Surprised that I couldn't find the description of the functions, but all is better now. Intuition tells me that clearing them is less disastrous than deleting, but I'll try to keep them straight from here on out.

While this probably made sense to the original coder, I argue that this is not correct, nor desirable, behavior.

The whole point of the "Ignore logs before" checkbox, is to avoid re-loading field notes when the person does not delete the file from their GPS each time, instead letting it build up and up and up. Just because one clears all field notes on the website, does not in any way mean that they deleted the file on their GPS, so clearing the "previous date" should not be done.

Just because one clears all field notes on the website, does not in any way mean that they deleted the file on their GPS, so clearing the "previous date" should not be done.

Agreed, and even if they still want to clear the date, there are much better ways to handle a null value, like hiding that line entirely. Displaying a date like 01/01/0001 is just sloppy coding. This site is used by many techno-phobes, and giving them confusing information like this is just going to discourage them from using it at all.

While this probably made sense to the original coder, I argue that this is not correct, nor desirable, behavior.

I completely agree, and I have a couple of bug reports/user stories in to have this behavior changed. It's been low on the priority list, though.