Where do you get your geocache building bits from?

Z3ROIN

Hi all,

I've been putting together my second geocache and for this one have found myself going to B&Q quite a bit. Which got me thinking: where do different experienced geocache builders (and non experienced for that matter) get their bits of kit from? Household items / garden centres / diy shops etc...

No correct answers i guess, just interested in you caching resourses

For containers, I like the local Army Surplus store or CAL Ranch. For log books/paper, I like Rite-in-the-Rain and generally order it from Groundspeak or Amazon in the form of small stapled-notebooks which I don't mind cutting up; haven't found any of it locally except in hardcover-bound field-books at the University bookstore and I can't bring myself to cut one of those up.

Some of my earlier cache containers I purchased ready made from ebay. But I found the quality a bit 50/50.

The cook shop at the local craft village for Lock'n'locks.

Homebase and Screwfix have supplied materials to make some birdbox cache containers, which I must get round to hiding.

And check out your local photographic shops, any that develop on site will have a supply of 35mm film containers. If your lucky they will 'recycle' them by passing them on to anyone that asks.

Most of my containers come from my wife's use of containers for her classroom. My largest caches are from Pretzel or cracker containers. Most of my middle size containes are almond packages and game piece containers. The smaller containers are purchased keyboxes, old pill bottles and my new favorite...wife's make-up comes in small watertight short/round bottles. These paint up nicely, glue a magnet in the bottom, and instant micro. Containers are everywhere if you keep a watch for them! :)

Let's see, I ordered a box of Rite in the Rain paper online a few years ago. I use it for log sheets, including the supplemental/replacement log sheets that I carry in my geocaching kit. I still have most of it left.

For larger log books, I buy composition books (the kind with sewn binding) in the stationery section of a local supermarket and then cut it to the size I need with my band saw.

I've bought containers at thrift stores (wide-mouth Nalgene bottles), at outdoor and sporting goods stores (beach safes), at TAP Plastics, online (L&L at woot.com, fake rocks at online geocaching stores), and as part of online group purchases (large capsule-style containers).

I've bought color-matched paint, primer, and assorted spray paints at OSH (a local hardware store). I've also bought lumber, various adhesives, sand, gravel, and other supplies there.

I've also used other assorted bits and pieces that I don't remember where they came from.