CACHE WITH CAUTION!!

Sun Chasers

I found out about this hobby just recently and it is quite addictive, however I feel that geocaching.com has a responsibility to inform it's members of potential dangers inherent to this sport. In particular, the entire world is quite on edge about bombings lately, and a peculiar package could cause a great disruption - like shutting down the Brooklyn Bridge for a day! If that particular package had been a geocache, this site would probably have been shut down and heavy fines would have ensued!

** PLEASE CLEARLY MARK YOUR CONTAINERS, AND USE TRANSPARENT CONTAINERS WHENEVER PLACING CACHES IN PUBLIC OR POPULATED AREAS! This way authorities can clearly identify the contents if discovered.

** Avoid using the ammo cans except for remote areas.

For the record, I am a U.S. Coast Guardsman actively serving in Operation Homeland Defense - MY JOB IS PROTECTING YOU FROM BOMBS AND WEAPONS ABOARD MERCHANT COMMERCE! So take a bit of advice and save yourself a LOT of potential trouble, CACHE CAUTIOUSLY.

Thank you, and be safe!

Mark Henry,

US Coast Guard

Homeland Defense is just another government boondoggle to spend lots of our tax dollars and take away our freedoms. I'm sure it will be just as successful as the "war on drugs" has been...we all know how great it's been since nobody can buy drugs anymore! icon_smile.gif BTW - not to take anything away from all those who are putting their butts on the line on a daily basis to implement these policies...they're doing a good job. It's the people giving the orders that I have a problem with. icon_wink.gif

But I digress...yes, it's important to take into account the "enhanced awareness" these days and cache responsibly.

[This message was edited by infosponge on May 30, 2002 at 03:28 PM.]

Homeland Defense is just another government boondoggle to spend lots of our tax dollars and take away our freedoms. I'm sure it will be just as successful as the "war on drugs" has been...we all know how great it's been since nobody can buy drugs anymore! icon_smile.gif BTW - not to take anything away from all those who are putting their butts on the line on a daily basis to implement these policies...they're doing a good job. It's the people giving the orders that I have a problem with. icon_wink.gif

But I digress...yes, it's important to take into account the "enhanced awareness" these days and cache responsibly.

quote:
Originally posted by Legal Tender Cache:

** PLEASE CLEARLY MARK YOUR CONTAINERS, AND USE TRANSPARENT CONTAINERS WHENEVER PLACING CACHES IN PUBLIC OR POPULATED AREAS! This way authorities can clearly identify the contents if discovered.

** Avoid using the ammo cans except for remote areas.

They have blown up transparent containers just as readily as ammo cans. Panic first, ask questions later.

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

I'm sure this has been thought of and likely mentioned, but a bomber could just as easily "disguise" a bomb as a geo-cache...

I've always noted that "possible bombs" found in places like airports, etc were false alarms...the real ones are typically not found unless the bomber is after something.

Just an observation.

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

That dadgum constitution. We have to go get them wear they live and our constiution doesn't apply.

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

That dadgum constitution. We have to go get them wear they live and our constiution doesn't apply.