Looking for Sponsor from South Alabama area

chris6031

We are from Dothan, AL and are planning a road trip to Mt. Mitchell, NC March 2-4, 2012. Mt. Mitchell is the highest point east of the Mississippi river and we plan to summit it and neighboring Mt. Craig (the 2nd highest point) We are looking for anyone in the area interested in sending us with a cache to place at the top of the eastern U.S. Looking for anything from gas donations to the lending of backpacking/hiking equipment. Any type of sponsorship is greatly appreciated and in return we will place a cache at the summit (or along the trail if you prefer) in your honor. If interested please contact me at chris6031@gmail.com or reply here. Thank you all in advance for your consideration.

Chris

Good Morning Chris

You will need to do a lot of home work before asking for donations here on the forms. Fist you can not place a cache there under your account until you can convince the reviewer that maintenance will be performed. I don't think money to caching is allowed here on this site.

Please rethink your post will let it say open for a day or two to see what happens

Max Cacher

Hi Chris, I'm Christian. I'm up in Montgomery.

It sounds like a fun road trip you have planned, but right now it just looks like a regular road trip. Is there some compelling reason you have for me donating my money to pay for your trip? If you had some kind of greater cause or were doing some sort of service project, that'd be one thing. Otherwise, to put it bluntly, normally people pay for their own vacations, and so far I don't see a good reason why I should pay for yours.

As far as planting caches on Mount Mitchell, in addition to what Max Cacher brought up, keep in mind that Mount Mitchell's a North Carolina state park. The reason there aren't any physical caches there may very likely be that the park manager doesn't want any there. Before you start planning any cache placement, you might want to take a look at the NC state park policy on geocaching, then contact the Mount Mitchell State Park staff and see if they're prepared to allow any containers.

Hope you scrape the money for the trip together, and hope it's a blast.

(ibtl)

Mt. Mitchell is the highest point east of the Mississippi river and we plan to summit it

First, "summit" is not a verb. Second, reaching the summit of Mt. Mitchell isn't exactly a big deal; you can drive right up to the top of it. Third, Mt. Mitchell is a North Carolina State Park. If you're going to place a geocache there, you'll need a $25 permit from the state. Fourth, vacation caches are not allowed.

Apart from all that, good luck and enjoy your vacation.

Any type of sponsorship is greatly appreciated and in return we will place a cache at the summit (or along the trail if you prefer) in your honor. If interested please contact me at chris6031@gmail.com or reply here. Thank you all in advance for your consideration.

THIS! YES. IBTL!

Look guys, I'm pretty new to geocaching so I didn't realize it was such a 'political' activity. It was just simply an idea I had since I enjoy finding caches I just thought maybe somebody would think it was neat to have the 'Mr. or Mrs. So and so' cache named after them at the highest point in the east. As for the first post, thank you for your insight. The second, I don't have any great reasons except that I'm not wealthy, lol. I'm still in college and a few of my buddies and myself thought it would be fun to take a last weekend adventure before we all graduate and go our separate ways in life. They really don't have any money and I'm pretty much paying for the whole thing out of pocket and just thought posting on here might be worth seeing what you guys said.

As for the third post, there really is no reason to get on someone's topic and be a douche. Maybe you should do a little more research as well. Start with anything related to climbing. As an accomplished climber, I'm pretty sure your goal when climbing a mountain is to summit. Maybe it is not a verb, but in the world of climbing it is the word of choice to describe the action of reaching the peak of a mountain. I have already gotten approval from the Mt. Mitchell State Park to place a small inconspicuous cache in a location not likely to be found by someone not looking for it. And yes, even though the summit can be reached via road as a tourist attraction, it is a very strenuous hike if you take the trail.

I was going to remove this post after the first to comments because I was beginning to feel a little embarrassed but now I believe I'll leave it up it hopes that you respond again number 3. Your ignorance has quite amused me this morning and I anxiously await anything else you have to say.

As far as anyone else who reads this thread, I'm sorry for not familiarizing myself with the sites guidelines before posting. I really hope the majority of you are not as uptight about life as this last guy. It really is too short and I thought the whole point of caching was just to have fun.

So let me get this straight. You've been registered here for almost 2 years. In that time you've found 8 caches. You've hidden exactly none. Now you want total strangers to pay for your vacation in return for which you'll hide a cache (your first) at your vacation site, in clear violation of Site guidelines (mainly the one about placing a cache in a remote location where you'll not be able to maintain it).

Seems like if anyone wanted to pay for a vacation and have a cache placed in another state they'd just pay for their own vacation and go and place a cache themselves, yeah?

And you have a lot of nerve calling the folks who responded to this ridiculous request "ignorant"! You are asking for us to subsidize your vacation! Why in the world would anyone want to do that? If you can't afford to go on the trip and don't have the backpacking and hiking gear then maybe this is not the trip for you.

{Now, just to avoid coming off as totally negative, I agree with your appropriate use of "summit" as a verb.... :rolleyes: )