62sc Storage Card and Its Potential

bradwwood

32gb is huge. I had an 8gb sitting around, so I dropped it in. Co-worker is supposed to bring me a 16gb, so I'll probably put that in there. With that I figure it will be a while before I have to worry about removing pictures :)

For using as photo storage, I had to set "use SD card if exist" in the menu setup. When I saved the NW Topo map to the unit, it automatically saved to the SD card without me doing anything, so that was nice.

I upgraded from a ten year old GPSMap 76. So far I am very impressed with all the features of the 62sc

Finally. Word directly from Garmin on the subject. (I see the date on the article is 1/3/12.)

However, their wording is vague: They recommend that "...a standard speed 32 GB SD card be used..." (or any other smaller size, I assume) What is standard speed? Class 2? Class 4? I don't think Class 10 (high-speed) would work, eh?

I am looking at the Kingston 16GB microSDHC Card w/Full Size SD Adapter - SDC4/16GB (Class 4, the way it looks)

Will this card work in my 62st?

Finally. Word directly from Garmin on the subject. (I see the date on the article is 1/3/12.)

However, their wording is vague: They recommend that "...a standard speed 32 GB SD card be used..." (or any other smaller size, I assume) What is standard speed? Class 2? Class 4? I don't think Class 10 (high-speed) would work, eh?

I am looking at the Kingston 16GB microSDHC Card w/Full Size SD Adapter - SDC4/16GB (Class 4, the way it looks)

Will this card work in my 62st?

I was also curious about what is "standard speed" so I googled it and asked around. I'm thinking a 32GB Class 2-6 micro SD card should work. Also, according to what I'm reading on the Garmin site, they have tested the SanDisk and Kingston brands.

So, why is it that on Kingston's site -- here -- they categorize their products as "Standard," "Class 4," and "Class 10"? And the "Standard" cards max out at 2 GB while the other two classes range from 4 GB - 32 GB ?

It seems that Garmin's Holy Grail -- a standard speed 32 GB SD card -- does not actually exist, according to Kingston...

So, why is it that on Kingston's site -- here -- they categorize their products as "Standard," "Class 4," and "Class 10"? And the "Standard" cards max out at 2 GB while the other two classes range from 4 GB - 32 GB ?

The "standard" probably either refers to non-HC SD cards (which are limited to 2 GB), or to class 2 SD cards (up to 2 MB/s transfer speed - or both). Larger SDHC cards are likely to be higher class cards. Technically and theoretically, they all should work...

The "standard" probably either refers to non-HC SD cards (which are limited to 2 GB), or to class 2 SD cards (up to 2 MB/s transfer speed - or both). Larger SDHC cards are likely to be higher class cards. Technically and theoretically, they all should work...

Or not..... Perhaps you should more carefully read where the question came from....

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B302abc70-80e8-11e0-cbc1-000000000000%7D

It is recommended that a standard speed 32 GB SD card be used in order to get the best performance from the device.