Activated vs. unactivated coins

kdv

I know that unactivated coins are more sought after than activated coins. So I guess for that reason a lot of people don't activate the coins in their collection. I think that is a bit of a shame, because showing your collection to others (and having them discover coins) is part of the fun.

Personally, I have organized my coins alphabetically in binders (yes it's crazy, because with every new arrival a lot of coins need to moved to a new slot). I have activated the coins in my first binder, so all my coins with names starting with A, B, or C, can be discovered. So I can easily bring that binder to events or other get-togethers.

Who knows, maybe in the future activated coins will be considered more interesting, because they have more history thanks to the logs. And as long they are only discovery logs, the coin shouldn't have travelled and remain in good condition. Coins are meant to be activated eventually, and who cares if that happens through adoption or otherwise.

I'm curious to hear how others see this.

When I first starred collecting coins I activated all of them. As I got more involved with the forums and trading at events I learned that activated coins were not as valuable as non activated. Even ones that had never left my binders and had no logs.

I guess it's sort of like circulated and non circulated to money type coin collectors.

Now the only time I activate a coin is if I get more than one or if I buy a set I'll activate the one I like best and leave the rest unactivated for trading.

Well, circulated vs. non-circulated makes sense, but I do think it's a shame that activating is considered something similar. Again, who knows in the long run it may be considered added value! I propose an actrivation revolution! If we all just start looking at it differently, we can enjoy our coins more, as long as they are in our possession :)

Marketing is all about perception. If I perceive the coin I'm looking to buy from you is used (ie. activated) I will not pay the inflated price you might be asking for it. However if it's a coin I must have or would really really like to have I don't care if it's used or not only that it is affordable.... notice that even perception of the price changes depending on the appeal of the coin: "inflated vs affordable". I stopped activating my coins a long time ago but that's only because I had collected enough icons and only wanted some symmetry between the moved/discovered column and the owned/activated.... hated it when one side was heavier than the other. B)

:anicute:

I have activated the coins in my first binder, so all my coins with names starting with A, B, or C, can be discovered. So I can easily bring that binder to events or other get-togethers.

you actually lug binders of coins to gatherings? madness i say, madness.

ILYK

i had 32 binders of coins at geocoinfest this year :anicute: !

Again, my point is that a big part of the fun in collecting something is to be able to show your collection to others. Showing geocoins to other geocachers without them being able to log them as discovered really isn't that much fun. I think it's a shame that activated and used are considered almost synonyms here, but that's why I also keep most of mine unactivated.

Again, my point is that a big part of the fun in collecting something is to be able to show your collection to others. Showing geocoins to other geocachers without them being able to log them as discovered really isn't that much fun. I think it's a shame that activated and used are considered almost synonyms here, but that's why I also keep most of mine unactivated.

Now that's a whole other beast. Lugging binders of unactivated coins to events to show only is the worst kind of tease... well, maybe not the very worst. :ph34r:

I have activated almost all geocoins in my collection. Those that remain unactived all have the (ugly) generic icon. I like reading the Discovered logs after events. However, sometimes people just copy and paste an identical text which is not very encouraging. But I still feel people like seeing the collection.

As someone wrote earlier. There are activated (NOT circulated) coins I really want and I am willing to pay more just because I want them. For me as a buyer activation is not crucial.

:anicute:

I have activated the coins in my first binder, so all my coins with names starting with A, B, or C, can be discovered. So I can easily bring that binder to events or other get-togethers.

you actually lug binders of coins to gatherings? madness i say, madness.

ILYK

:lol: The few times we've met I've enjoyed looking through your binders of madness!

To add my 2 cents worth, I activate at least one of everything I get. I like the icons. I actually like activated coins as they usually are much cheaper. (I've had one person not complete the adoption process though, and that's frustrating.)

With my other coin collections (actual money-type coins!) I don't mind circulated coins. I like the history, the experience if you will, of coins that have been used and passed through countless hands.

To each his own.

Edited by Six Little Spookies