Delorme PN60 ?

Jenner48

The DeLorme's are solid units, and are built like tanks. A LOT of people like them. I had a PN-30, and honestly, didn't care for it. The ultimate selling feature that most people point to in favor of the Garmins is free, legal maps, which are not an option on the DeLormes. Both are good units, and both companies provide excellent customer support, in my experience. Other than the map issue (which DeLorme users quickly point out that DeLorme units come with 100k topo maps included....100k is not a great scale, though...), it really comes down to preference on the interface, look and feel. Best bet is to go to a local outdoor store, and put hands on the units, and see what you like best.

Later!

Been doiung alot of research on GPS units, and most people like Garmin. So I was wondering if anyone like Delorme and the PN60?

I can't comment on other brands, but the PN-60 is my device and I find it very good. Battery life is great compared to earlier PN units, paperless use is excellent. I tested the waterproof and flotation last week (not by choice) and found them as advertised. The screen is small compared to smartphones. Text is not as readable as on the old PN units. I love being able to preload lots of PQs into the larger memory in my SE unit.

read reviews before deciding. The PN-60 is pricey.

My take on the maps is that I have found the DeLorme supplied maps are fine for caching.

Edited by aurght

Best bet is to go to a local outdoor store, and put hands on the units, and see what you like best.

Later!

This is normally excellent advice; however, it does not necessarily apply to the DeLorme models. I make great use of the color aerial photo imagery available from DeLorme in unlimited amounts for a $30 annual subscription fee. I typically carry 12GB of this imagery on a 16GB SDHC card (PN-60s support 32GB SDHC cards) whereby I use this imagery for both geocaching and 4WD back country sightseeing. Unfortunately, this feature cannot be demonstrated in a retail store environment on their demo units.

Best bet is to go to a local outdoor store, and put hands on the units, and see what you like best.

Later!

This is normally excellent advice; however, it does not necessarily apply to the DeLorme models. I make great use of the color aerial photo imagery available from DeLorme in unlimited amounts for a $30 annual subscription fee. I typically carry 12GB of this imagery on a 16GB SDHC card (PN-60s support 32GB SDHC cards) whereby I use this imagery for both geocaching and 4WD back country sightseeing. Unfortunately, this feature cannot be demonstrated in a retail store environment on their demo units.

Very true, but the Garmins have this feature for the same price, and you can even make your own custom image maps, with serious size limitations. It still comes down to form and function, I think.

Later!

The amount of terrain you can cover with Garmin custom imagery maps (home made) is really small, if memory serves. I think it's limited to 100 tiles, but that very well may be incorrect.

I had typed a lot more, but then decided to answer the question you asked. LOL

Later!

I appreciate that and please accept my response regarding the nature of my question about the Garmin imagery.

1. I reviewed one map at random which is 0.82GB in storage usage.

2. This map covers 240 square miles.

3. I usually cut and save at useable (my judgement) zoom levels of 13 through 16 (more zoom levels require more storage space, of course).

4. Scrolling and screen refresh rates are unaffected for image files below 1.2 and get sluggish above; consequently, I cut and save between 0.8 and 1.0GB.

5. As a result, I typically carry 12GB, in 12 to 15 individual files (would these be tiles in the Garmin system?), which represents about 3,500 square miles.

Stu, I think DazDnFamily inadvertently confused you by mentioning two different things that you're apparently treating as one:

...Garmins have this feature(1) for the same price, and you can even make your own custom image maps(2), with serious size limitations ...

So...

1) "This feature" refers to Garmin BirdsEye; aerial imagery download subscriptions at the same price as DeLorme's MapPack, roughly $30/year.

2) "Make your own" refers to Garmin custom maps, a "do it yourself" method for turning any raster imagery into a map.

The size restrictions of "make your own" don't apply to paid for downloaded maps from Garmin. If you wanted a comparison of "make your own" aerial imagery Garmin v. DeLorme, a more apt comparison would probably be DeLorme's XMap -- but that becomes a completely different discussion, even further away from the OP's question than we are now and getting further away with every keystroke...

Edited by Portland Cyclist

Stu, I think DazDnFamily inadvertently confused you by mentioning two different things that you're apparently treating as one:

...Garmins have this feature(1) for the same price, and you can even make your own custom image maps(2), with serious size limitations ...

So...

1) "This feature" refers to Garmin BirdsEye; aerial imagery download subscriptions at the same price as DeLorme's MapPack, roughly $30/year.

Garmin's BirdsEye is locked to a single GPS. DeLorme's MapPack works on any DeLorme GPS you own. DeLorme's DigitalGlobe package is locked to a single GPS.

Good point(s). Garmin's Birdseye IS more comparable to DeLorme's DigitalGlobe than MapPack. It's hard to keep all the details of each of them straight.

What I'd really like, is a real side by side comparison of those service offerings and actualy hands-on use. It's easy for any of use to say "I like THIS one because I've used it" or "I heard someone else says X about Y" -- but if some review site would post some real world comparisons it'd be a handy reference.

Of course, Jenner48 just asked vaguely if people liked the PN-60 and this discussion of various mapping products might make no difference. Would be nice to know what features they're really interested to focus the thread on that.

Sorry for being unclear. Yes, I was saying that there is a paid imagery subscription for the Garmins, that to my knowledge, is similar in content and price to the subscription offered by DeLorme. Or, if you choose, you can create your own image based maps for Garmins, but the area of terrain (this has nothing to do with file sizes...I'm talking about square miles of image map coverage) you can cover is limited, from what I understand, but I have honestly never put the work in to it to find out. My original point was that since the subscriptions are so similar, and are priced the same, it is really a non factor in a comparison of the two. The capability exists on both, so it is still a question of form and function, and that is a question of preference. The best way I know of to resolve that, is to get hands on the units, and see what you like better.

Later!

Been doiung alot of research on GPS units, and most people like Garmin. So I was wondering if anyone like Delorme and the PN60?

I read a lot of good reviews on the PN60 so I bought one. First time purchase and very new to Geocaching. I used my son's Garmin GPSMAP 62st and there was no comparison. The Delorme seemed to have trouble finding satellites, did not work well under trees(I don't mean a heavy forrest, but some trees) and the electronic compass bounced all over the place. I would be walking towards the cache(I thought) and instantly the compass would shift 180 degrees and head me in the opposite direction/. I recalibated to no avail. This was my first trip with it today and I was very disappointed, especially after seeing how my son's unit worked(liked it is supposed to). Lost confidence real quick on the PN60. Packed it up and shipped it back to Amazon - looking again. Maybe a bad unit - don't know, but opted for refund instead of exchange.

I just had the opposite experience, where the Delorme PN60 was more accurate the Garmin 62s and Oregon 450t (PN60 was closest to 7 out of the 10 caches). I would take any of the three though and all of them had their pluses and minuses.

I read a lot of good reviews on the PN60 so I bought one. First time purchase and very new to Geocaching. I used my son's Garmin GPSMAP 62st and there was no comparison. The Delorme seemed to have trouble finding satellites, did not work well under trees(I don't mean a heavy forrest, but some trees) and the electronic compass bounced all over the place. I would be walking towards the cache(I thought) and instantly the compass would shift 180 degrees and head me in the opposite direction/. I recalibated to no avail. This was my first trip with it today and I was very disappointed, especially after seeing how my son's unit worked(liked it is supposed to). Lost confidence real quick on the PN60. Packed it up and shipped it back to Amazon - looking again. Maybe a bad unit - don't know, but opted for refund instead of exchange.

Well Thanks Guys. Yes I did ask a open question. It does not bother me if the screen is a bit smaller or not, the buying of maps is something that i would think about but dont think that bothers me either. I am more looking on how it works if the owners like them that have them not if they have maps or not. Accurcy is a small issue cuz if im with in 20 feet of GZ then i dont mind looking some, it boring if GSP puts you right on top of GZ everytime. I like a challange

I read a lot of good reviews on the PN60 so I bought one. . . and the electronic compass bounced all over the place. I would be walking towards the cache(I thought) and instantly the compass would shift 180 degrees and head me in the opposite direction/. I recalibated to no avail. This was my first trip with it today and I was very disappointed, . . .

I don't have any experience with the full featured Garmin units, but if there is a good gps signal under a clear sky, and the PN-60 is in default mode, and the "compass" flips 180 degrees, it probably means that you have walked right over the cache somewhere within the last 2-15 feet. :rolleyes:

... if the owners like them that have them...

This may be a good way to join a club, but perhaps not the best way to choose a GPS.

Especially as you've also indicated that screen size, maps, and accuracy don't interest you. If you eliminate the specific features/reasons why someone likes the thing or not, all you're left with are self-affirmations from people who decided to buy that model.

Really, the best advice given so far in this thread is to decide which features do matter to you, then visit a retailer who stocks the gadgets and try them yourself. See what fits well in the hand, has a screen you can read, and features that make sense, etc...

I read a lot of good reviews on the PN60 so I bought one. . . and the electronic compass bounced all over the place. I would be walking towards the cache(I thought) and instantly the compass would shift 180 degrees and head me in the opposite direction/. I recalibated to no avail. This was my first trip with it today and I was very disappointed, . . .

I don't have any experience with the full featured Garmin units, but if there is a good gps signal under a clear sky, and the PN-60 is in default mode, and the "compass" flips 180 degrees, it probably means that you have walked right over the cache somewhere within the last 2-15 feet. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the response but I never got near the cache. When I got out of the car it pointed me .20 miles due south, seemed to be tracking pretty well, then directed 100' west etc, seemed as if I was going around in a large circle. Discouraged I headed back to the car and the distance started decreasing heading towards my car. Once at the car it pointed me east then west(bouncing), wuldn't settle down, in some instances pointing back towards the original treck of .20 miles south. Went home with tail between my legs and looked at cache on geocaching.com website map and the cache was.10 miles from where my car was parked NE and completely opposite to original treck and opposite(east) to where it was pointing me once I returned to car.

I really wanted to keep the PN60 but lost confidence. Not sure what to do now.

I really wanted to keep the PN60 but lost confidence. Not sure what to do now.

It is hard to second guess the issues that a new PN-60 user (Scorpio49) might have experienced in a single day's use, but it may be that the device was never switched from Automobile Drive mode to geocaching Hiking/Direct mode once the car was parked near the geocache.

But to get back to the original poster's (Jenner48's) question about having a built in electronic compass, I can see the value, and apparently so can most of Delorme's customers as they are no longer offering a PN-30 type device. I bought a PN-30 (no electronic compass) after having bought and used the PN-40 (with electronic compass). At first I was thrilled that the PN-30 was as fast as the PN-40 but did not include the compass. But then it dawned on me that the built in compass was really a nice feature in mountain settings where you could just sit and watch the Topo map contours pan automatically in the direction that the compass was pointed.

As to the accuracy of ANY of these brands of GPS devices, if they are pointing the user 200 or 300 feet in the wrong direction these days, it is time to FIRST read the instructions, visit the manufacturer's forums, and THEN possibly to send the device back for repair or replacement.