updating caches

howarthe

I was wondering what would happen if I changed one of my caches from a small to a regular sized container. Would everyone's stats change? I mean everyone who found it when it was small, would all their small numbers drop by one? Would their regular numbers climb by one?

I was wondering what would happen if I changed one of my caches from a small to a regular sized container. Would everyone's stats change? I mean everyone who found it when it was small, would all their small numbers drop by one? Would their regular numbers climb by one?

Yes. But the total would remain the same. But unless they were running some sort of stats package they would not notice. Also, it might be months before it became apparent if they don't run their MyFinds PQ very often to update their stats package. I can go a couple months without running a MyFinds PQ because the way I manage my data it is not needed except to update things like a change in cache size or archive/disabled status.

Yup. Same thing happens if you change the Difficulty or Terrain - stats change. But it's more important to list the cache accurately so people know what to expect, than to worry about stats.

What if I decided to change it from a traditional to a letterbox hybrid? Would it be better to archive the traditional and publish the letterbox hybrid as a new cache even if its in the same spot? I have a popular cache that has been found over a hundred times, but I think its a really boring cache except that its right next to a totem pole, and I really like public art. Anyway, I just became interested in letterboxing, and I thought this cache would be a lot more interesting as a letterbox hybrid, but I'm also very interested in what you think. Thank you.

What if I decided to change it from a traditional to a letterbox hybrid? Would it be better to archive the traditional and publish the letterbox hybrid as a new cache even if its in the same spot? I have a popular cache that has been found over a hundred times, but I think its a really boring cache except that its right next to a totem pole, and I really like public art. Anyway, I just became interested in letterboxing, and I thought this cache would be a lot more interesting as a letterbox hybrid, but I'm also very interested in what you think. Thank you.

You can't change the type. You'd have to archive and relist.

[Edit: typo]

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

As BBWolf+3Pigs indicated, you can't change a cache's type. The volunteer reviewers can change a cache's type, but they usually do so only when the cache was originally listed as the wrong type. If you're changing the cache, then you need to archive the old one and submit a new listing as the new type.

Changing the cache size would not affect finders' numbers.

It will affect their stats for the cache sizes they have found.

Home → Geocaching → Cache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship → Editing a Published Listing: Minor Change

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=201

6.10. Editing a Published Listing: Minor Change

You might wish to make minor changes to your cache page after it has been published. Your cache must still abide by the Guidelines.

To edit your listing, log in to your Geocaching.com account and display the listing. In the Navigation box in the upper right corner of the cache page, use the "edit listing" link. That will take you to the original cache report where you can edit the title, text, hint and cache size. You can also edit the difficulty and terrain ratings. You may wish to make adjustments after a few finds on a new cache, or if a cache container has been replaced.

Once you have made the changes, scroll to the bottom of the form and click the "submit changes" link and the two buttons:

Yes. I have read and understand the guidelines for listing a cache.

Yes. I have read and agree to the terms of use agreement.

You will find that you cannot change the cache type. Changing the cache type will retroactively alter the statistics of all previous finders, so we do not allow this field to be edited.

Home → Geocaching → Cache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship → Editing a Published Listing: Major Change.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=76

6.11. Editing a Published Listing: Major Change.

If you need to change the coordinates beyond 0.1 miles (528 feet or 161 m), or change the type of cache, please contact your local reviewer. The reviewer will check the changes for adherence to the current guidelines and notify you when the changes have been made, or suggest that a new cache listing should be submitted. Please be sure to follow any instructions the reviewer may send you.

There is a link to the profile page of the reviewer that reviewed your cache listing in the bottom of your cache page (you must be logged in). If you email a reviewer and do not receive a reply within 72 hours, the reviewer account may be inactive and you will need to contact us at Groundspeak.

contact@geocaching.com

When you contact the reviewer or Groundspeak please provide the cache name and GC Code for the listing.

I changed the difficulty rating on one of my caches when I heard that a very large hive of bees was at the cache. Oh boy did I hear about it!!

I changed the cache rating back in response to the complaint immediately. Until then I hadn't realized that it would affect someone's stats or that anyone would even care!

Lesson learned.

I changed the difficulty rating on one of my caches when I heard that a very large hive of bees was at the cache. Oh boy did I hear about it!!

I changed the cache rating back in response to the complaint immediately. Until then I hadn't realized that it would affect someone's stats or that anyone would even care!

Lesson learned.

If the difficulty truly changed (or you over/under rated it), go ahead and change it. If someone complains because is messes with their fizzy challenge board, too bad.

Yup. Same thing happens if you change the Difficulty or Terrain - stats change. But it's more important to list the cache accurately so people know what to expect, than to worry about stats.

DON'T CHANGE the d/t once the cache is found. if you do you could knock out someones completed fizzy!

DON'T CHANGE the d/t once the cache is found. if you do you could knock out someones completed fizzy!

So what?

If the cache as originally listed was not rated correctly, then it should be corrected. If that means knocking out a completed fizzy, stuff happens. Arguably, the finders didn't really earn that d/t rating in the first place.

If the cache gets muggled and can't be replaced as it was, then the listing should be archived and the replacement should stand alone as its own new cache, with different coordinates, size, and/or rating, as appropriate.

If the cache as originally listed was not rated correctly, then it should be corrected. If that means knocking out a completed fizzy, stuff happens. Arguably, the finders didn't really earn that d/t rating in the first place.

If the cache gets muggled and can't be replaced as it was, then the listing should be archived and the replacement should stand alone as its own new cache, with different coordinates, size, and/or rating, as appropriate.

I absolutely agree with hzoi. The primary purpose of the difficulty and terrain ratings is to communicate the current nature of the cache experience to potential seekers. All other purposes are completely secondary, including stats and side games like challenge caches.

If the CO thinks different ratings would be more accurate (whether the original ratings were inaccurate or because the situation changed), then the CO should correct the ratings. Those who use the ratings for side games need to deal with the change on their own.

Yes, at some point the changes mean that it is no longer really the same cache, or the same cache experience. But it's up to the CO to decide when it's time to archive the old listing and submit a new one.

If someone approaches me and asks if they can use my cache in some manner for a puzzle or some other endevour and I make a commitment to them, then I am going to honor that commitment.

Otherwise, I'm going to make sure my cache listing properly reflects the cache placement, even if something changes later on down the line.