Adding Friends

Pandaramic

I just recruited my friend musicfreak575 and she is now my geocaching sidekick since she does not have her own GPS! I went into the friends tab on my profile and typed in her name to add her. The site gave me a message saying "this user is not accepting friend request" and when she tried to friend me the same thing happened! please help! I've been sing the song "WHY CANT WE BE FRIENDS" for hours! Thanks, Pandaramic :smile:

I just now found out about the "Pending Friends" feature. <_< We had two "friend" requests that I didn't know about until now. (Thought we were supposed to get an email when someone has requested to be added to the "Friends" list?) "Ignored" one, "accepted" the other.

I'm pretty sure there's somewhere in your profile where you can change it to be able to accept friend requests. Or shut it off.

So far, all I've been able to find is:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=105

8.5. Friends List - Adding a Friend

To add other geocachers to your My Friends list:

1. Log in to your account

2. Click the “My Profile” link located in the upper right hand corner

visit: http://www.geocaching.com/my/myfriends.aspx

4. Enter the username of the player you’d like to add and click “Go.”

5. Enter a message that will be emailed to the other player and click “Send Message.”

The other player will not be added to your friend list until they accept your Friend request. You can see all pending friend requests under the “Pending Friend Request” tab located next to the “My Friends” tab.

Well, of course I find it now....

go to "Your account details" and scroll down to the "Your Preferences" section at the bottom. Click on "change" in the upper right of that box.

Make sure that "Allow Friend Requests" is checked. Click "save changes".

Your friend will have to do the same with her account details in order to allow your "friend request".

Edited by Pup Patrol

go to "Your account details" and scroll down to the "Your Preferences" section at the bottom. Click on "change" in the upper right of that box.

Your friend will have to do the same with her account details in order to allow your "friend request".

Thanks So much!!!! i love geocaching but not when the website wont let me connect with friends!! THANKS AGAIN!!!! :D:lol:

I love geocaching.com, but the "social" part of the website SUX. Adding friends is disabled by default, and even if you do somehow manage to connect with one, it is almost the same as if you wouldn't. There is no "wall" (listing) of friends' activities.

Adding only those features, site would be a lot more user-friendly and social. I would like to watch what caches my friends are finding and hiding, but not by manually checking each one of them.

Adding friends is disabled by default......

As it should be.

Too many folks, it seems, are desiring to make geocaching.com into something akin to Facebook. It is not!

Those that make friends and desire to list them as friends will find out how to do it -- the forums is one way. Reading all the website has to offer is another way. It's there, you just gotta find it.

To have "Friends" enabled by default is not the way to go.

Sorry, but that is my take on the issue. I think that quite a few would agree, even if only tacitly.

I send a message to a freind but it still not a pending request, an when she kliks the link nothing happens. What can I do about that.

B.

I'm moving this thread from the Feature Suggestions forum to the "How do I...?" forum, because the primary purpose is to help the OP with their questions about the existing friends functionality.

If people have constructive suggestions on how to improve the friends features, please start a new thread so your idea doesn't get lost in the shuffle.