Geocoin Import Fees to US?

rsfish1

I did a quick scan of the forums and did not see an answer to this. Are there duties/taxes for importing a large number and dollar amount of geocoins in to the US? Should there be some special paperwork and markings on the paperwork to get them in smoothly?

Edited to add that this is about $2K coming from Germany.

I appreciate the information!

Edited by rsfish1

I pay a "brokerage fee" to UPS when coins are shipped from China. I sign for the packages and there is shipping paperwork/invoice from the manufacturer on the box.

As a side note, I do wire transfers to the manufacturer and it costs me a chunk to do it from my credit union and it now costs the manufacturer some money to receive the wire transfer. I know payment can be done with a credit card on file and I'm not sure if there is any charge going that route but I'm not comfortable with having an overseas company having access to my credit card information.

Here's a link for some additional information regarding the fees.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs/fees.html

tsun

Thanks for the information Tsun. These will be shipped DHL. And I have been told the tariff code for non-monetary coins is 7118900055. I will probably call DHL and see what they tell me after I get off work. I was just hoping someone would have a quick answer with as many geocoins get shipped to distributors here.

Well I got my answer and will share it here in case it might help someone in the future.

For DHL using tarriff code 7118900055 (non-monetary coins)in to the US and the total is under $2000, there are no fees or duties. I did not ask further after that as my shipment will be under that by a hundred bucks or so.

So in my situation I am good to go. Thanks for the replies. Now I must sit back and wait for them to show. Wonder what it will be. :D

Well I got my answer and will share it here in case it might help someone in the future.

For DHL using tarriff code 7118900055 (non-monetary coins)in to the US and the total is under $2000, there are no fees or duties. I did not ask further after that as my shipment will be under that by a hundred bucks or so.

So in my situation I am good to go. Thanks for the replies. Now I must sit back and wait for them to show. Wonder what it will be. :D

WOW! I have to pay duty on any amount over $60. Nice!

I do wire transfers to the manufacturer and it costs me a chunk to do it from my credit union and it now costs the manufacturer some money to receive the wire transfer. I know payment can be done with a credit card on file and I'm not sure if there is any charge going that route but I'm not comfortable with having an overseas company having access to my credit card information.

tsun

I looked into wire transfers and they are too expensive. Like you, I was uncomfortable using my credit card, so I just opened a new credit card account that I use only for making geocoins. After a year, all of the charges have been legitimate. When I applied for the card, I told the bank issuing the card that I would be using it mostly in China. They understood why I was doing this and were very supportive.

By the way, I find the Chinese mints very easy to deal with and very good with customer satisfaction. In some ways, they are more polite and more attendant to my needs than many American companies. On the whole, the experience has been quite positive. I actually learned something about customer service from them. I noticed that every e-mail to me began with a thank you for something that I had done such as "thank you for sending the artwork", or "thank you for the responding so quickly". I thought it was really nice, so I do that with my customers (e.g. 'thank you for contacting me'). It seems to make dealing with customers go smoothly because you always start with acknowledging something nice that they have done for you.

I use international remittance through my bank, which I guess is the same as a wire transfer. The bank charges a flat fee of $13.50 for any amount up to $2500.00. The bank at the other end takes a cut as well I gather.

Two of the mints I deal with prefer this method over credit card. A third will accept paypal, though I imagine they build the paypal fees into their prices.

I use international remittance through my bank, which I guess is the same as a wire transfer. The bank charges a flat fee of $13.50 for any amount up to $2500.00. The bank at the other end takes a cut as well I gather.

Two of the mints I deal with prefer this method over credit card. A third will accept paypal, though I imagine they build the paypal fees into their prices.

Wow, I was not able to get a rate that low. Maybe I should have shopped around some more.

my two cents -

it varies by country

I have gotten a number of parcels here in the USA from overseas, and never had to pay any fees

(but everything that I have done was well under the $2,000 figure mentioned above)

but I am aware of some places that want an import duty/fee for just about anything

I once sent an item (not geocoin-related) to someone in Britian

on the green customs form, I indicated that the value was around $100

(or so, I don't recall the exact amount)

the intended receiver was forced to pay a substantial sum before they could get the parcel

(something like $20, if I recall correctly)

I learned from this incident

I now mark any such item as a "gift", and quote only a small dollar amount for the value

(this probably would not work very well if you have insured the item for a larger amount)

some internet searches using "import", "duty" and/or "customs" and the country name may get you some more specific information for a particular destination

my two cents -

it varies by country

I have gotten a number of parcels here in the USA from overseas, and never had to pay any fees

(but everything that I have done was well under the $2,000 figure mentioned above)

but I am aware of some places that want an import duty/fee for just about anything

I once sent an item (not geocoin-related) to someone in Britian

on the green customs form, I indicated that the value was around $100

(or so, I don't recall the exact amount)

the intended receiver was forced to pay a substantial sum before they could get the parcel

(something like $20, if I recall correctly)

I learned from this incident

I now mark any such item as a "gift", and quote only a small dollar amount for the value

(this probably would not work very well if you have insured the item for a larger amount)

some internet searches using "import", "duty" and/or "customs" and the country name may get you some more specific information for a particular destination

Marking a shipment as a 'gift' doesn't really help if you are shipping to Canada. The receiver is still responsible for duty on any package over $60 value regardless of the gift status.

Vendors can't really mark items as gifts or fudge on the value. It could be considered fraud.

I'm again asking about wire transfers from the US to China. I have been using a credit card to pay the Chinese mint, but this week I saw some unusual activity and was forced to close that credit card account. I am again looking into wire transfers, but they all seem to want to charge $45 to $60. Does anyone know a cheap way to wire money? E&Cplus3 says that he can do it for $13.50, but I am in the US and not Canada.

Wire transfers can take long depending on the routing. I use a cashier check and fedex envelope. If I send by Friday they get it by Monday and all is good, never had an issue. the cost is about the same but I have found it more dependable than the first few wires I did.

That might work. How much does a fedex envelope cost?