GPS Units for beginners

Cache In Hand 64

ev en the etrex 10 is a great cheaper start. The only downfall really is the no memory card and no maps, but if you can live with those two small things, then it's a great strter unit, I had a 10 but then took it back for the 20.

I agree with Eusty, the new eTrex line is reasonably priced and they are fairly easy to use.

Are there any recommendations please

If you think this is something you will be sticking with, it is usually cheaper to buy an advanced unit and grow into it's bells and whistles than to buy a cheap unit that you soon outgrow and have to replace.

does anyone know where we might find a used unit?

There is a forum topic, GPS Garage Sale, where used units are available. You can also try Craig's List or eBay. The majority of people use a Garmin unit, so if you go this route you will find it easy to get community support for problems you may be having.

I like Garmin. Mine's old, but it's an etrex legend. I talked a friend into getting a Garmin etrex, but I don't remember anything more specific.

I'd suggest going to the Garmin website and looking around. They should have a feature to help you choose the right unit for you. It uses check boxes, so you can check "Hiking" and "Geocaching" if you want units for hiking and geocaching or "paperless geocaching" to go that route. You can choose if you want a memory card and all sorts of stuff.

Those apps are such battery eaters! Especially when you have the brightness on so you can see!

Good luck!