Garmin GPS60 and Android Tablet

Rummon's

I am currently downloading cache coords direct from the geocaching website to my Garmin GPS60 via my laptop. I am thinking of getting an android tablet and I am wondering if I will still be able to do this or is the android technology not compatible with the gps like windows is??

Cheers

Rummon's

I am currently downloading cache coords direct from the geocaching website to my Garmin GPS60 via my laptop. I am thinking of getting an android tablet and I am wondering if I will still be able to do this or is the android technology not compatible with the gps like windows is??

Cheers

Rummon's

If you are talking about downloading directly from the site like you use the Garmin icon with a Garmin GPS attached to the unit, no, it will not work. If you are talking about downloading the LOC or GPX file to the unit or PQ's, yes it will work.

I have used a bluetooth GPSr with my Nook color for a little over a year with no problems. I simply DL and area PQ or create one myself (using GSAK) and email it to the unit.

If you mean, copying GPX files to your GPS from an Android device, the only method that would work that I can think of is to copy the GPSX file to a external memory card while the card is inserted in the Android device.

In order to work the GPS unit would have to support GPX files on an external memory card and the Android would have to also support an external memory card.

I guess I have the same question and this thread comes closest to answering it. I've always done the usual PC to GPS DL of caches. Well Santa put me on his nice list and I received a new Oregon 450 while my wife got a new Acer A500 tablet.

So we would like to be able to DL caches from the tablet to the 450 - especially when we are travelling.

When I tried the usual method I got the message that I needed Garmin Communicator, which, of course, would not load on the Acer. So my initial question was "Is there an app for that?". Keep in mind that there is still a bit of a learning curve for both units.

But from what I am reading here, am I right that what I have to do, rather than simply plug the GPS into the tablet, is transfer my GPX file to a SD card (which I have to figure out how to do on the tablet) and then put the card into the GPS? Or is there another way?

Thanks for any help in clarifying this issue.

There are a few Android tablets that have host USB. Craig makes 2, a 7" and a 10" both with a host USB. The problem is that Garmin teamed up with Asus to market the Garmin phone. I suspect that is part of why you don't see an android app to talk to a Garmin GPS.

Just guessin though!

A tablet is not a computer and can't communicate with your Gps via an Uab.

You can save the data to an Sd in the right folder and use the Sd later in the Gps

On Android you can copy/paste data with the My Files app.

Thanks for the reply and help. I can now see the files so I'll pick up a micro sd card and give it a try.

There are several tablets and even phones that support USB host mode on Android. It was added to the Honeycomb SDK, but I think it's available in a backport lib for certain Gingerbread devices. http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/usb/host.html

All it needs is a programmer with enough motivation to implement the Garmin protocol to that spec. Frankly, given the intersection of such devices and the reality that this is *way* easier for any Garmin designed in the last several years, the payoff will be slim, but it only takes one that wants it badly enough to do it. I know of no such implementation now.

To the one that suggested copying GPX; that works only on modern Garmins, not a 60 series. Those devices need actual Garmin comm protocol to transfer waypoints and routes.

I picked up a microSD card and have done some experimenting. By using PQ's on the tablet it actually works quite well. I did the PQ, which emailed me a GPX file (labelled "...tablet... - how doid it know?) which I transferred to the card and placed in the GPS. All was well.

BUT, does that mean that to use the tablet I am stuck with using PQ? For example, when travelling I sometimes like to examine a (geocache) map of where I'm at or will be down the road, select 1 or 2 caches, upload them to the GPS, and away I go. So far I haven't found a way to do this using the A500/OR450.