QR Code TBs

Joe the Mailman

I have come across QR codes that are Trackable. How do you create a trackable QR Code and how do you get an official tracking number for it?

There's a new "travel tag" style Geocoin sold buy a third party, which has a "QR Code" on it instead of the familiar "barcode bug". Scan it and you go to the main Trackable Page on Geocaching.com, not to the individual trackable's page like you might expect.

You can print and laminate a QR code, and attach a TB dogtag. There are several free online QR Code web sites. You could use just the tracking number, or the entire URL for the trackable, for the QR Code.

It is highly advisable to use a Travel Bug Dogtag, attached to an object you wish to track, such as a laminated QR Code tag, since people will recognize that as a trackable item and not Swag. That is also a way to get a tracking number (buying a Travel Bug).

Edited by kunarion

I have come across QR codes that are Trackable. How do you create a trackable QR Code and how do you get an official tracking number for it?

There's a new "travel tag" style Geocoin sold buy a third party, which has a "QR Code" on it instead of the familiar "barcode bug". Scan it and you go to the main Trackable Page on Geocaching.com, not to the individual trackable's page like you might expect.

You can print and laminate a QR code, and attach a TB dogtag. There are several free online QR Code web sites. You could use just the tracking number, or the entire URL for the trackable, for the QR Code.

It is highly advisable to use a Travel Bug Dogtag, attached to an object you wish to track, such as a laminated QR Code tag, since people will recognize that as a trackable item and not Swag. That is also a way to get a tracking number (buying a Travel Bug).

Thanks

Hey,

I had a play with QR codes and generators awhile back.

I also made some prototype ones using HAMA beads (heat melt plastic beads, arranged using a peg board, a kids toy in the UK)

qrcodegeocaching.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Found encoding anything large in them to be cumbersome, but maybe worth thinking about as the end results are tough, waterproof and if you epoxied a dog tag to the back would probably serve quite well.

- Alex