SUBMITTED (26673) - [FEATURE] Toggle Disabled Caches on Beta Maps

texasgrillchef

Suggestion: Toggle Disabled Caches on/off on Beta Maps.

The problem with viewing Beta maps, and trying to see what area you would like to cache in for the day, you can't easily tell WITHOUT clicking on the cache first, which caches are disabled, and which caches aren't.

For people cachine in major metroplex's such as Dallas Fort Worth, where we have over a few hundred square miles of available caches to search for, as well as over 5,000 caches to look for as well. Many of us will go to an area of DFW and cache in that small location for the day.

Therefore when we are looking at the map. It would be nice to be able to toggle on/off DISABLED caches so that they aren't viewable on the Beta Maps screen. This would make it much easier for us to decide which areas we might want to cache in for the day.

Please don't suggest GSAK. As wonderfull as GSAK is. It isn't perfect, it isn't free, it doesn't run on a mac, it doesn't run on linux, & even with its live features, there are still limitations to GSAK.

TGC

The problem with viewing Beta maps, ... you can't easily tell WITHOUT clicking on the cache first, which caches are disabled, and which caches aren't.

Are you aware that disabled caches have a gray background, instead of white, on the beta map?

Are you not able to discern the gray background?

No I am sorry I am not able to discern the gray background. Maybe this is due to my monitor, my eyes, or the gray background isn't big enough, or any combination of those.

Is the gray background viewable from ALL levels of the map? or just when the actual true cache icon is viewable (at the most zoomed in levels). Are the gray backgrounds viewable at the most zoomed out view that still allows you to view the smileys & stars of the caches you own & have found?

Toggleing would allow them to be removed totally from view at ALL map levls. Not just certain map levels. Just like toggling cache types.

TGC

P.S. maybe a suggestion that they could change the colour of the gray background to a light red or something.

Edited by texasgrillchef
P.S. maybe a suggestion that they could change the colour of the gray background to a light red or something.

This I can totally agree with. I had a Greasemonkey script for the old maps that changed the gray background to a red X in front of the icon. Couldn't miss that.

That said, I do think being able to completely hide the disabled caches could be useful in some situations. But it should default to off (showing) and not remember it's state. We should not be able to completely forget about them for all time. We need to be constantly bugged by them so we can bug the COs to fix or archive them.

The problem with viewing Beta maps, ... you can't easily tell WITHOUT clicking on the cache first, which caches are disabled, and which caches aren't.

Are you aware that disabled caches have a gray background, instead of white, on the beta map?

Are you not able to discern the gray background?

You can't tell from a certain zoom level if they are grey or not. Also, I can barelysee the difference as well, and I have a fancy Apple monitor.

This I can totally agree with. I had a Greasemonkey script for the old maps that changed the gray background to a red X in front of the icon. Couldn't miss that.

That said, I do think being able to completely hide the disabled caches could be useful in some situations. But it should default to off (showing) and not remember it's state. We should not be able to completely forget about them for all time. We need to be constantly bugged by them so we can bug the COs to fix or archive them.

Oh now that I completely agree with. I absolutely want it to have toggle capability. It should act just like the cache types toggle that is currently being used. It never remembers its previous state, always defaults to show all caches, but can easily be turned off.

TGC

We have different icons for tradis, multis because we want to be able to distinguish between them... And we want to be able to filter which type(s) of cache to display. Why ? Because we somehow find it useful.

Why then would it be different with enabled/disabled caches ? If disabled caches are displayed differently, that's because we already want to distinguish them from enabled. It would then be logical if, like with cache types, we could also filter disabled caches.

Moreover, as someone said, the difference enabled/disabled is only visible for strong zoom levels. When zooming out, we can no longer see which caches are active and which ones are not. A toggle button would make up for that problem...