cache temporary disable?

goza

cache Pronunciation Key (ksh)

n.

A hiding place used especially for storing provisions.

A place for concealment and safekeeping, as of valuables.

A store of goods or valuables concealed in a hiding place: maintained a cache of food in case of emergencies.

Computer Science. A fast storage buffer in the central processing unit of a computer. Also called cache memory.

tr.v. cached, cach·ing, cach·es

tem·po·rar·y Pronunciation Key (tmp-rr)

adj.

Lasting, used, serving, or enjoyed for a limited time.

n. Informal pl. tem·po·rar·ies

dis·a·ble Pronunciation Key (ds-bl)

tr.v. dis·a·bled, dis·a·bling, dis·a·bles

To deprive of capability or effectiveness, especially to impair the physical abilities of.

Law. To render legally disqualified.

(A store of goods enjoyed for a limited time to deprive of capability)

Means that the owner temoporarily disabled it for some reason. Perhaps it is missing, or there is some issue as to the legality of its placement, or a some other reason that he doesn't want people to look for it...temporarily.

Temporarily disabled is similar to 'archived', but can be enabled by the owner. An archived cache is permanent, unless you can get an admin to renistate it.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

If you mean the [temporary disable] that prints next to the cache name in black lettering, it is what you, as the cache owner, would click on to disable the cache. It does NOT mean the cache is disabeled. The formatting is somewhat confusing if you look at it fast. This option only shows up when you are looking at a cache page you own. If the cache was actually disabeled, there would be a paragraph in RED lettering saying the cache owner has disabeled the cache and to read the logs why, etc.

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

The first time I saw this in the big letters, I was a bit confused too, until I realized what's going on. This happened after the recent web site upgrade.

I could see how this might confuse a newer user, and I would be in favor of changing the wording somehow. Maybe - click here to disable. It won't make any difference to those of us who know, but it might prevent confusion amongst the newer cache hider.

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

The first time I saw this in the big letters, I was a bit confused too, until I realized what's going on. This happened after the recent web site upgrade.

I could see how this might confuse a newer user, and I would be in favor of changing the wording somehow. Maybe - click here to disable. It won't make any difference to those of us who know, but it might prevent confusion amongst the newer cache hider.

Actually, i would put it under the extra options in the colored button bars that a cache owner sees on his pages. But thats me.

-C

logo_small.jpg